Can I legally fly 90m higher than an aircraft in the same place?

They’re very unlikely to be as low as you think.
(Also, dont rely on the altitude reported on flight radar, its not always accurate).
FR24 also wont show a lot of civilian or military aircraft at all due to its block list. Warton comes to mind immediately.

Planes can in general operate down to 500ft but there are many reasons why they can operate lower perfectly legally.
As an unmanned operator, you are the one responsible for avoiding conflicts and maintaining safety. 90m directly above an aircraft in no way at all would meet that criteria. A general rule is if youre aware of any aircraft in the area operating in a height thats within the capabilities of your drone, get the drone down on the ground or out of the way.

I’m always glad when I go on holiday abroad, that planes can legally operate below 500ft. If the weren’t it would be hard to get on board, and a bit of a bugger to get off at t’other end. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s easier to get off a plane mid air than on. :grin::grin:

2 Likes

Unless they run out of parachutes :joy::joy::joy:

To be fair a mod changed the title of my post. I’m not that naive that I would ask that question. The title change imo made me look a bit of a numpty. In fact I’ve steered clear of this place for a couple of months since!

As I replied to another poster who alluded that I asked that question in the first place, I didn’t. A moderator for some reason changed my thread title to this. Which imo makes me sound a bit thick! :person_shrugging:

It’s owned by Helicentre Aviation Ltd who train helicopter pilots.

1 Like

THIS.
unless it’s another drone, then you have as much right to be there.

Just as an update: I eventually found all the info myself! Thanks for nothing!!! :person_shrugging: I’ve since managed to gain permission to fly in 2 of the 3 NFZs locally by looking up all the readily available phone numbers and online resources. The ATC personnel were much more helpful than this place!

Jeez, getting blood from a stone! And as for there being no silly questions. :person_facepalming: Bordering on piss taking of newbies.

Hi Karpinski65,

I live in Southport just across the way from you in Blackpool.
The planes and helicopters are always flying overhead here in Marshside at the north end of Southport, but they are at least 3,000 ft in the air when they pass over when I look at Flight Radar 24.

I found this link on Blackpool Airports website, whereby you need to register with “Air Portal” and fill in all your details.

Your name, where you live, your drone manufacturer, Mini 2 or 4 or Mavic etc…
You will also need your Fyler and Operator ID for Blackpool Airport and Warton Aerodrome.
Also the serial number of your drone as well.

Once you have filled in all the relevant information that if required.
You can then submit a request form to Blackpool Airport via the “Air Portal”.
You can also upload documents to the Airport as well, i.e. your drone Flyer ID Licence and any Drone Insurance if you have any. Either from Grey Arrows when you become a full member. Or from Cover Drone.

Once you submit your form, they should get back to you in 24 hours.
They say you need to give the Airport at least 72 hours/ 3 days notice before you wish to fly your drone in an FRZ (Flight Restricted Zone)

You and I both know how busy Blackpool Airport is with it being so close to you and so close to Southport and just over the Ribble Estuary.

Here are the links to the websites, good luck.

Blackpool Airport Phone Numbers may come in handy.

Blackpool Airport: ATC: 01253472527
Blackpool Airport:01253343434 / 0844482 7171

They should technically allow you to fly your drone just a little bit higher than the Pepsi Max at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
As the tallest part of the Pepsi Max is 235 feet (71.6 meters) high. So they may allow you to go as high as 75 or 80 metres high. (Possibly?)