Can you have a PfCO *and* be a hobbyist?

@Simonlee I agree with @joe.k. You have to remember that flying under a PfCO is not just about having the advantage of closes distance margins. The whole of the flight should be done in line with the your Operations Manual that was submitted to and approved by the CAA, a 50 plus page document. The course definitely open my eyes to a whole new perspective on flying a commercial job.

It is true that you are only likely to have a problem if something goes wrong, or if someone reports you to the police that you are flying where you shouldn’t be and the police attend.

And if something does go wrong, they will be testing all you have done against that operations manual, not just the drone code.

Before doing the course, I was under the assumption that having a PfCO was just about being able to fly with less hassle and closer than as a hobbyist. However, I was soon made aware of the real legal implications and responsibilities when flying for a commercial purpose.

I will definitely be sticking to the standard drone code distances when flying recreationally.

5 Likes

Very helpful @BrianB

I was looking at doing the PfCO purely to have a qualification that might open other doors for me to fly recreationally. Not sure I want to make fly my drone for a commercial income, though that day may come perhaps.

#Undecided

Hi Brian
That’s cool I can see what you’re saying, I have done my PfCO, my OM is with the CAA I’m just waiting for certs back. It’s true the course is enlightening and I’m committed to operating to my OM safety procedures.
I was wondering if the 150M from congested areas applied if you weren’t on a commercial job.
For instance there is a park down the road from me (there are no restrictions on drones in Sutton) in the middle of that park you are 80m away from residential areas so technically without a pfco you can not fly there. However with a pfco you can take off …I’m wondering if You have to be on a commercial operation to use that advantage. Pfco holder or hobbyist for that flight?

2 Likes

If you don’t have a payed “job” you can use a hobbyist flight as your two flying hours for renewal
So you can if you fly as a hobbyist Just be more thorough in what your doing.

3 Likes

From the course I did the answer would be no if you were not flying iaw your PfCO ops manual. Of course you don’t have to have a paid job to fly is iaw the ops manual. I have only done the theory so far and currently preparing my ops manual, so experienced PfCO May have different views?

1 Like

That was recommended by our instructor to keep your hours going in your log, particularly if you are struggling to get commercial jobs.

1 Like

I was thinking the same when I did mine, but if you only want to fly recreationally I don’t think it will really help. I have a couple of business ideas I want to use it for, so works from me. Otherwise it’s a big investment for no return.

3 Likes

Hi @ ScottishYorkshireMan
I’m going over to Guernsey beginning of August my family live there, cousins etc I have been back and too for years, taking my Mavic Zoom this time and could do with heads up on places to fly , pretty much know the island like the back of my hand flew my Mavic Pro there at the Hommet, Cobo and Vazon, going to the Famous balcony gig at Cobo on 4th they are always a blast please let me know

Very late to this conversation- not long joined the club.
The answer is yes!
I’ve had PfCO since 2017 but only recently started “hobby” flying. Let’s me have fun instead of just clicking on rooves etc.
All flying in accordance with Ops Manual and logged - keeps the hours up too.
Checked with my insurance and they say from their POV any recreational flying would be treated as “training”, “currency” or “system checks” so still fully covered.
I’m also a member of a club so get PLI through that too.
Hope helps

3 Likes