Castle Douglas, Scotland - Site Ideas Please!

Hi All. I just booked a weeks holiday in Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway at the end of May. I don’t really know the area. If anyone can recommend places to fly / film with the drone, or sites to photograph with the still camera I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

We have just come back from Gretna Green and i was so tempted to take the drone, Visited the Caerlaveroch castle and would have loved to take a few cheeky shots of that from the air, but took shit loads with the osmo pocket :+1:

1 Like

Anywhere round loch Ken, the Solway Firth

1 Like

This isn’t too far away @Joe

Tagging Bernie @northernlights53 in :wink:

1 Like

In addition to Loch Ken there is also Loch Doon & the ruins of Castle Doon (if you look closely you’ll see my first Mavic 60 foot up a pine tree on an inaccessible rocky promontory!). Clatteringshaws Loch has a dam with an outfall, & some great views.

Much of the coastline is worth viewing, and, although it’s a bit of a drive, Portpatrick on the West coast is worth a visit, with it’s old harbour.

As has been mentioned, Caerlaverock Castle is spectacular, & should definitely be on your list.

Plenty to see & do, which is why we’re going back twice this year!

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated chaps. I’m taking notes and researching as we go!

You lucky devil, Its a fabulous place to go to and It’s a drone flyers playground up there. Have a mooch around Kippford Loch or a trip to Gatehouse of Fleet. CD (Castle Douglas) and Dumfries is a lovely town, everyone is so friendly and welcoming, typical Scottish hospitality. With so much around to film you’ll be spoilt for choice. I’d live up there in a heartbeat if I could.

1 Like

Cheers Brian, all noted! I’m really looking forward to the trip I have to say.