Castles of Pembrokeshire

It’s been a week since I returned from Pembrokeshire, and I have finally gotten around to collating the video footage. Below is aerial footage of Pembroke, Manorbier and Carew Castle.

Useless info warning: Pembroke Castle is a mile from where I was born. Manorbier Castle is where my sister got married. I used to cycle past Carew Castle twice a day when I worked at Oakwood Theme Park in '88 :joy:

Feel free to like and subscribe to my channel, many thanks :+1:

I have already uploaded some photos here:

9 Likes

Good work, interesting angles of interesting buildings - thanks for sharing! I like the way you used the gimbal tilt when moving away from / towards subject buildings.

Thanks, Lee! I am gladed you liked it :+1:

Great video, I love Pembrokeshire, when I was young I would spend most of my school summer holidays staying with my Aunt ,Uncle and cousins in Newport, loved it.

1 Like

Thanks John! Yes, it’s a stunning part of the country. I must admit, I didn’t realise at the time how lucky I was growing up there. That said, it’s always a pleasure going back whenever I can :wink:

Great video Chris
I just love castles and you filmed them very well
Really enjoyed that
Great flying and well edited.

Thanks Olly, that’s great feedback :grin:

Great video Chris and lovely flying. Noticed the edge of your frame is a bit brighter than the centre, have you added a white vignette?

Thanks, John! Yes, I haven’t played with White Vignette before in Premiere, so I’d thought I’d give it a go. I must admit, I am still not sure it was a good idea. Not sure about everyone else, but for me, what looks look at the time, often looks not so good when I revisit it :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s not to my taste Chris, I prefer a black vignette but usually in photos, I tend not to use them in video.
It gives your video an over exposed look, which is fine if that’s the look you wanted. Have you tried bringing the exposure down a bit and adding a black vignette?

1 Like

I tend to agree. I won’t be adding it again. I made a mistake in the editing in Premiere. I added a single adjustment layer spanning all clips and applied effects to that alone. The first sequence (Pembroke) was actually under-exposed, so I bumped the exposure on the adjustment layer, instead of just on that clip :confounded:

I am still learning, mostly by my mistakes. But great advice and you were correct to point it out, thanks :+1:

Adjustment layers are a great way of adding overall effects to videos, particularly colour grading. Best used though once all exposure adjustments and colour correction are done.

1 Like

Why didn’t you tell me that before I published the video! :joy:

Yes, totally understand now. Lesson well and truly learned :+1:

Disclaimer (excuse), a couple of weeks ago, I finally made the switch from Filmora to Premiere. Should have done it ages ago. So much better. Knowing PS really helps, as it is familiar, but I have only scraped the surface … there is so much functionality to discover and learn.

I used Premiere for my work for years but a few years ago switched to DaVinci Resolve Studio. A one off payment and no monthly subscription, though I do still pay monthly for Photoshop/Lightroom. DR is great for colour correction/grading.

1 Like

I have heard great things about DR, and many folk use it - so it must be good. I’ll no doubt have a play at some point, but am still learning Premiere. I also like that my entire suite is Adobe; Ps, Pr, Br, LrC and El … it makes integration so much easier :wink:

1 Like

Great skills and really enjoyed the video. Have always avoided Manorbier though as assumed it was covered by the MOD danger area NFZ. Are there times of the year it is suspended?

Cheers Alastair :wink:

Danger Areas and Flight Restriction Zones are different. The latter being the one you cannot and must not fly in. There are no NFZs covering Manorbier, or near by.

There is a Yellow Zone that covers Penally, the tip of North Beach, Tenby and edge of Caldey Island. But we are still allowed to fly here. It is merely a warning, i.e. it may raise concerns.

1 Like

Thank you and for the info towards Tenby. I had assumed that the danger area being red on Drone Assist ruled out Manorbier completely. I am only 15 mins away so will get down there when the weather allows

1 Like

Whereabouts in Pembs are you then? I am from Pembroke Dock originally.