Cheddar Gorge - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Parking is available along the Cliff road, best to arrive early as this road is not only busy but gets congested quickly with visitors.
Plenty of good locations to launch from and the views are amazing. It’s worth noting that further down the road towards the village the cliffs are higher than 120m in places. No restrictions in the area. I had no interference with remote flying up and down the road amongst the steep cliffs.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 16/04/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

This is a SSSI area and you need permission from Natural England to fly legally here,

i did a Charity Flight and incorporated a flight from above the gorge aswel as down it at low altitude for a veterans bike ride, Natural England were Extremely helpful once contacted and i got to talk to the right person :slight_smile:

I guess they weren’t concerned about the flight disturbing the special features of the SSSI? Curious as to what they said.

Yeh i think he guessed that the gorge would cause more damage to my mavick 3 than the other way around :rofl::rofl:.
He was impressed with the level of detail i went into with flight plan, Risk Assessment, etc and after a good chat he asked for a copy of the films when finished which he was thoroughly impressed with and now i have an ally in Natural England. Which could come in handy in the future. :wink:

1 Like

Looking at the Dronescene for Cheddar Gorge, it looks like you can stay on the south side of the gorge and fly from there.