Chelmsford City Council drone policy, any idea what this document actually means

Drone-Policy-_Sept-16.pdf (35.7 KB)

Basically, this was brought in by the council before we had sub 250gm drone rules. If it’s a byelaw then you’d have to approach the council to either rescind the byelaw or at least, re-word the document. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Gerry, we reworded the title (it makes searching the topic easier) and moved it to the questions and answers section

1 Like

I think my Aunt was Mayor of Chelmsford when that was introduced :joy:

Colchester Council have a similar document, almost word for word, what they don’t tell you is most of the areas I wanted to fly are covered by the Colchester Garrisons and you need to request permissions from them, sorry about the long link but it wouldn’t copy the link any shorter.

Link made shorter

Thank you @milkmanchris :+1:

1 Like

Same old waffle about not being allowed to “fly over” their land. I wish these councils actually understood what they are missing by not understanding the regulations that most of us already know about just doing a basic Exams to gain our licenses.

1 Like

It’s not worth the pdf its written on

Go and fly your Drone Gerry @Olddutch :airplane:

3 Likes

Again more council Tosh!

You can use the local authority tool in Dronescene to find this information

3 Likes

My reading is that it’s a ‘policy’ and not a by-law. To make it worth the paper it’s written on and to have any force in law, it needs to be a by-law. At least that’s my understanding. I may be wrong, I was once before :rofl::joy:

For the small percentage of users who take the time to do the research before flying, is out weighed by those who just launch fly around and leave, unless your caught doing something wrong, who’s actually going to be bothered? Bye laws or policies who’s enforcing it, if they haven’t got the time or resources to give us the information, why bother asking, unless it’s for commercial purposes.

1 Like

Drone-Policy-_Sept-16.pdf (35.7 KB)

Thanks to you all for taking the time to comment on the Item.

I do have the relevant CAA Flyer ID and and an Operator ID, and even though I am relatively new to Drone flying, I try to be a responsible flyer, following the Drone code.

With all that in mind I will be flying my drone whenever I get a chance in my local area, “Eyes wide open”

I agree with you on that point. A survey of councils seeking confirmation as to whether they had a bylaw, flagged up there doesent appear to be any councils with any. Interestingly listen to the BlackBeltBarrister on Utube, clarifying the whole matter.

The gov.uk website states “A byelaw cannot be made where alternative legislative measures already exist” and the fact the CAA already have legislation in place for air space…

Seems to be a few clowncils going down the PSPO ( public space protection order ) route to ban drones these days. Not sure of the legality of this though ?
If councils get a PSPO for an area, where would we find such information ? Hmmmmmm

I’m in discussion with another Council (not to be mention yet) who have banned drones, and posted up signs to that effect.
I been in correspondence with them and they have no idea of what legislation applies, they sent me a full copy of CAA Regs and a lengthy view from a legal person going on about the EU Regs . Lol.
I pointed where they are and are wrong, taking note of the views of the BlackBeltBarriester. Reminding them they have no bylaw in place and that to obtain it will require scrutiny of the Courts and to endeavour to implement one without the correct process , taking into account there is adequate and legal control already in place would be exceeding their powers.
I also required from them confirmation that the illegal signs be removed and that I would not be subjected to harassment from members of the Council(employees) whilst going about my legal pursuit of flying my drone as long as I adhere to the CAA Code of Practice bearing mind that if I were harassed that would be a CRIMINAL MATTER and I would be well within my right to request the attendance of the Police.
Awaiting another reply.
PS I have now lodge it as a Formal Complaint as well.

1 Like