Chester Shot Tower

Chester Shot Tower, also known as Boughton Shot Tower, is a grade-II-listed shot tower located in the Boughton district of Chester, England. In a shot tower, lead is heated until molten, then dropped through a copper sieve high in the tower. The liquid lead forms tiny spherical balls by surface tension, and solidifies as it falls. The partially cooled balls are caught at the floor of the tower in a water-filled basin.
The tower stands beside the Shropshire Union Canal and forms part of the disused Chester Leadworks. Built by Walkers, Parker & Co. in 1799, the tower is the oldest of three remaining shot towers in the UK and probably the oldest such structure still standing in the world.
Lead is believed to have been exported at the port of Chester from lead mines in north-east Wales since the Roman period; later sites included Minera Lead Mines. The construction of the Chester Canal in the 1770s led to industrial development to the east of Chester, with the Walkers, Parker & Co. leadworks being established there in the late 18th century.

Music Credit The Barclay Brass - Jupiter composed by Gustav Holst.

3 Likes

Nice flying

Interesting video of somewhere I pass often and generally think, pity they dont do something with this.

Thanks for sharing

I thought it had been redeveloped as I remember seeing a program on TV… sort of grand designs type thing

Doesn’t look any different Tbh. They have developed the area around but the tower looks as is.

I don’t think the Shot Tower itself could be developed as the internal width is quite small, the land to the East of the tower is earmarked for further development as retirement properties.The area has realy improved with the Waitrose store and the hotel next door, the tapering land in between leads the eye to the tower. The whole area was quite scruffy a few years ago. This photo was from the 60’s

3 Likes

About 600m from me, I’m up in the Water tower area. I like this video done well before the arrival of the Peregrines. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Nev, I deliberately avoided their breeding season.