Close call with RAF Typhoon

Hi folks. Just back from a flight out with my new ex4 this morning and thought I’d share my experience. It was just a bit of a test flight but I ended up getting the fright of my life. I was in a local field and had just finished a pre flight check having already looked up the drone assist app. 10 mins previous with the drone on the landing pad ready to go. I always do a final check of the surroundings just before take off and noticed a strange sound in the distance. A few seconds later 2 RAF Typhoons flew straight above the field and must have been below the 400ft mark, going quite slow. Had I been in the air, I’m pretty sure one of these guys would have had a new hood ornament now!! This is the first close call I’ve had and I’ve learned that you can never do too many checks before flying. Don’t just rely on apps to tell you it safe!! A few seconds can make all the difference!

10 Likes

Sounds like a brown pants moment for sure Chris :poop::grimacing:

2 Likes

Omg a wee drone take out a 125 million pound plane I would die and go on the run​:joy::joy::joy:

I had this with helicopters and small planes flying over me on the hill i live on and definitely not above 400ft but it seems instead of going around they decide to shortcut over me without rising :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Depending on the geographical location Military aircraft can fly as low as 100 feet and at 7 miles per minute can suddenly appear from nowhere

2 Likes

It certainly was Steve. It did get me thinking though. It would have made one hell of a photo seeing one of those coming directly at you. Of course, assuming the drone survived. Highly improbable,I think.

1 Like

I think I would have done the same @ziceman. Downing a Typhoon with a £250 drone would just take too much explaining :joy::joy:

1 Like

It does beg the question @GrantK. Had I taken off 30seconds earlier and assuming I was pointing the drone the same direction as the incoming aircraft. What would have the best course of action? I really don’t think I would have time to drop altitude or carry out any meaning manoeuvres. Like you say they can appear from nowhere. I guess that only leave closing your eyes and hoping for the best! :grimacing::grimacing:

Yould need Superhero reactions to snap that! Lol or have the luck of the Irish on your side with the timing :four_leaf_clover: :grin:

1 Like

I’m never that lucky. Although after today I might try a punt on the lottery this week :thinking:

1 Like

So does anyone know what the legal situation is here if the worst were to happen?
If you’re following all the rules are you in the clear as there’s nothing you could have done?

1 Like

Good shout @nathankw. I have been wondering that myself. I quite literally could do nothing more.

CSB73
Provided there are no restrictions on drone flying in the area, and you were below 400 feet I would think that you’d been in the clear legally. It is very unlikely that the RAF would be flying that low in a built up urban area. But you can’t count on anything not suddenly appearing. That’s why it is so important to check for NFZ’s Your immediate reaction should be to hit the left stick and bring your drone down as quickly as possible even if it means hitting the motor kill button. Mind you, you said they were flying quite slowly and that you heard them coming. It would be worth any UAV pilot to take the time to Google UAVHUB. They run qualification courses for the new recreational licence A2 CofC . There is even a free evaluation course you can take.
Hope this helps.
As a matter of interest what was the general area you were flying in?

1 Like

I disagree, while ever the test is multiple guess and the flight assessment is self certified I cannot see how this will make anyone a better pilot

1 Like

I’m not saying it will necessarily make a better pilot. Although my belief is that it will. But the amount of knowledge one can pick up is well worth the visit. Especially as they give one an opportunity to do the whole course as a trial (obviously no certificate for the trial)

1 Like

I’ve read of so many people (both on here and other forums) who have taken the CofC after owning a drone for under a month, and having flown a handful of times, theory is one thing, practical skills is what this hobby is all about.

How many people have never/nor will fly Atti?

Thanks for the reply @GrantK. The area I was flying was about 3 miles outside of the city with an NFZ close by. Even then I was a good mile or two away from the NFZ. This is the reason I always check and recheck my surroundings before take off. I’ll take a look at the UAVHUB website although I do have a tendency to agree with @milkmanchris about practical skills. That said in a hobby such as ours when the consequences of our actions could be severe there must be a certain mix of both theory and practical. I suppose for me it’s like driving a car. If someone steps out in front of you the theory is to perform an emergency stop. How quick you react to that situation is down to practice and practical skills. You kind off need both. All that said, had I been in the air 30 seconds earlier today I m not even sure hitting the kill switch would have been quick enough. I just thank my lucky stars I didn’t have to find out!!

1 Like

I would be interested if you had liability insurance would you be covered for downing a military jet? Reminds me of a time when I was taking my PPL that I was approached by two Phantoms who passed either side of me.

I don’t know of any drone policy that will cover a £100m+ payout.

(assuming jet replacement cost, lives lost, ground damage, etc)

1 Like

I would guess at a number of years enjoying her majesty’s pleasure?

1 Like

You’ve reminded me of a close encounter I had with two RAF Typhoons a few years ago, except I was paragliding at Shaldon, Labrador Bay near Teignmouth , Devon. I was at about 1000 feet asl, about 700 feet above the cliffs, on an exceptional day late in the year when sea thermals allowed us to get more height than usual when just soaring. One of my mates was at a similar height a couple of hundred metres to my right towards Maidencombe. Two Typhoons came in from the sea and passed either side of us at the same height as us. Eye level. Close. A few hundred metres. At that speed I didn’t have time to turn my head and see mine disappear behind me. A few minutes later they came in again from the sea, they’d obviously done a big circuit to come in for a second run! This time I turned I had time to turn my head to the left in time to see the one on my side do a barrel roll as he (she?) headed down the Teign valley, and I saw the one my mates side did a hard rolling turn to follow him. It still sends a shiver down my back writing this even though it was several years ago. Flying friends said they wouldn’t have seen us, but I’ve no doubt they did. They were flying VFR and they would have seen us silhouetted against the horizon. And I’ve no doubt they came by the second time to say hi! One of my most amazing experiences in 20 years of free flying.

I guess some on here will say ‘impossible’ re the Typhoons, they wouldn’t have seen you etc. But I know I can see a paraglider at 6 k and at the speed they were flying they’d have seen us a few seconds before getting to those cliffs. It’s their job, they fly low level looking ahead at the terrain and obstructions. They wouldn’t have made the second pass had they not seen us! Wish I’d been flying with a camera, though I doubt it would have even caught it.

2 Likes