Commercial ops requirement question

Okay.

This is going to sound like the old “I have a mate” but I genuine do a friend who just started flying last year.

He’s desperate to make money from flying and jump from step A to step Z without any progression such as flying or editing skills.

He was offered a commercial ops by a contact at work and he asked did my advice.

My understanding is you need an a2 to fly a commercial ops? (he’s sub 250g) however he didn’t want to do that so started looking for loopholes and stays he was origally told by coptez that he didn’t need an a2 “if the customer said it was okay” I told him that was utter rubbish and then he began looking for another short cut, this led him to apparently calling the CAA who apparently told him that as long as the commercial ops is under £250 “they don’t care” ultimate he was paid £400 but has put it though as 2 days claiming he’s under the £250 despite the job being £400 simply because it took 2 half days.

So my question is this.

Knowing the CAA I highly doubt they “don’t care” but is there is limit £250 for a commercial ops where by you only need your op ID (sub 250)to fly commercial ops?

My friend is frustrating, I don’t fly with him for many reasons but I try and advise him best I can to keep him out of trouble.

(for clarification the commercial ops was a building site that we was required to cover the arrival and installation of new equipment, this isn’t a thing that can be considered anything but a pre arranged commercial ops)

Thank you

The only thing he needs is commercial insurance. the rules changed back in 2020.

No A2CofC especially if its a sub 250g drone.
No PfCO anymore.

Just commercial insurance.

This is basically correct if it’s private property that he intends to fly from.

All of the CAA drone code still needs to be adhered to for the flight. Check for FRZs using:

get himself some decent commercial insurance.

obtain permission to take off and land if its private property.

avoid any privacy issues

and he’s good to go :+1:t2:

Also to address the

No he can charge what he likes it’s his time that he’s giving up so he gets to decide what his time is worth. but keep in mide that the tax man will be interested in his little side hussle so he’ll need to do his research regarding tax for the income.

2 Likes

If he still doesn’t believe you, the CAA wording is

“There is no distinction between flying commercially and flying for pleasure or recreation. This means that an approval just to operate commercially is not required. However, all commercial drone flights require valid insurance cover.”

3 Likes

Well I’ll be dammed, thanks guys.

1 Like

Sorry, but you might need to eat a slice of humble pie on this one :rofl:

3 Likes

Everyday is a school day and I’m more than happy to eat it.

We can only grown and learn if we ask questions and listen when we are wrong.

Where I’ve gone wrong is speaking to my a2 cofc provider who told me under no circumstances can you fly commercial ops without an a2, even sub 250g but Im glad I asked and explored further, even though I’m the one massivijg wrong lol

1 Like

What’s most worrying from this is that a training provider doesn’t know the rules & regs!

4 Likes

Or who does know the rules and regs, but thinks he can drum up some business by pretending they’re different…

2 Likes

I have to admit this was the first thing that came to mind, I won’t case any allegations et El but yeah…

1 Like

Who was it?

Being able to fly a drone is just part of the skillset.

In most cases the client’s requirement is not for someone to simply fly a drone, it is for someone to perform a task while flying a drone. So expertise in photography or videography and their associated activities such as editing, expertise in structural survey, thermal imaging, mapping or whatever are the core skills required.

And if you have the skills required as well as the ability to fly you then need to get out there and market yourself in a fairly crowded field. It also helps to have a portfolio of previous work to show your experience. As in many creative industries you are only as good as your previous job.

For every person trying to make a success of their skills by charging the market rate for a job I believe there are many hobbyists out there who will do a job for peanuts - they have little or no overheads to consider when it comes to sustaining a business.

Maybe your friend will be an exception proving the rule :slight_smile:

1 Like