Compass calibration

Mavic Air here. Never re-calibrated compass and only IMU once due to an induced Yaw movement while hovering, which it has cured.

1 Like

Welcome Andrew Iā€™m a newbie to and from my experience on here u have joined a great group itā€™s full of helpful people with alot of advice just donā€™t be scared to ask for help or advice iv learned alot from these guys

1 Like

My Mavic Air 3 times in 7 months, my HS 100 prior to every flight.

Have to calibrate my M2P almost every flight. Recently 100 miles or so between locations.

MP did not need the same.

MP has a dual compass and M2P single with vision compass.

Just glue one of these on it, then ā€¦ and youā€™ll have two, like the MP. :+1:

1 Like

Might as well go all out and stick half a dozen on it.

1 Like

At least they donā€™t need calibrating! #Bonus! :+1:

1 Like

After fitting 4 Srobon stand alone leds, one on each arm, with cable ties as suggested by OzoneVibe when switching the MP on it said the compass needed calibrating. I switched it off and took the strobes off, switched the MP on again and it was fine. I put the strobes on again and the MP wanted the compass calibratingagain, so thatā€™s what I did and it has been fine since then. I had never previously calibrated it.

So the MP has 2 compasses and the mp2 only has 1.but the mp 2 has 2 imu,s so i believe.not sure why DJI have made these changes?

I only have 2 strobon ā€¦ on the rear arms. Never had any issues.

I have some other lights (LumeCube), with accessories that attach to them by very small magnets. The lights fit further forwards.on the MP, between the arms and adjacent to the MP body, and I canā€™t use the accessories at all.

I guess the MP is more sensitive to such things nearer the front.

Iā€™ll swap the two Strobon onto the front arms, some time, and see if they cause any issues.

Me neither, but built in redundancy might be the thing.

Iā€™d rather have no compass than no imu, should one of either go pffft! :wink:

1 Like

Very odd,as it would not have been difficult for DJI to have put that extra compass in the mp 2? Never had to worry about compass calibration on my platinumā€¦Always have to calibrate the compass on the mp 2 ā€¦Bummerā€¦:neutral_face::neutral_face:

Perhaps there are other factors than the number of compasses causing the need for frequent compass recalibrations on the M2. Someone with an M2 said, above, that they donā€™t have this problem. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Your right Dave,maybe it is the areas that i take off from,as when out in the countryside does not seem to complain ,going to Derbyshire in a week or so,so will be interesting to see how the mp 2 behaves thereā€¦:+1::+1:

Itā€™s got dual IMU and a vision compass and so 2 magnetometers are really not needed.

Proper redundancy would need 3 magnetometers. With the MP it only knows the 2 dont agree and switches to ATTI.

With the M2P it has calculated IMU heading, vision calculated heading, magnetic heading.

1 Like

I have lost count the amount of times I calibrate the compass on my M2P.
Seems like every location, yet the Mavic Pro, no problem.
ARE YOU LISTENING DJI !

1 Like

I to have to calibrate my Compass Nearly every time I use my mavic Pro 2 for first time after it has not been used for a week on mavic 1 I only did it twice in one year

Same here.

Iā€™ve never seen @paulmouncer calibrate his (M2P) when we have been out, and we do get out a lot

Only do it when Iā€™m prompted to do it, which isnā€™t very often.