COP26 Glasgow

Headed in to the city centre with my camera today to check out COP26, it was surprisingly quiet, all the demonstrators must have been having Sunday off. Lots of police and security on show though.

Armed police patrolling the river.

Roads closed, security gates and a ring of steel surrounding the SEC (or as it’s known here in Glasgow, the Armadillo).

1 Like

Interesting set of photos John :+1: :+1: :+1:

Can’t help thinking though - how much additional pollution has this gathering caused - surely a “Zoom” type meeting would have been better :thinking: :man_shrugging:

Sorry - back on topic - did you have any issues with security for taking photos ???

4 Likes

Yeah I would agree John, 25,000 delegates from all around the world! No problems at all taking photos.

3 Likes

The conference has been good for one section of the photographic community:

2 Likes

Quick calculation: assume half the delegates fly a round-trip from Hong Kong (which is incredibly conservative): emissions CO2 equivalent = 12,500 x 750kg = 9,375 tonnes CO2e.

Global annual emissions are around 50 billion tonnes CO2e.

It’s around 0.00002%, and not even that if the planes were going to fly anyway.

It’s a drop in the ocean, looked at as a one-off event.

The issue, of course, is that the ocean is made up of many such drops.

2 Likes

Here are our glorious “elite” at the G20, feasting on salmon and seabass. Not hypocrites at all, not even a little bit.
000a-masters-001-Climate

according to the Record just the private jet flights (so not including the likes of Bidens 85 car motorade, of which many of the armoured gleaming back limos have been flown over from the states in a USAF C-17 transporter.) so just the private jets is more than 1600 scots will burn in a year. But you plebs had better get rid of your gas boilers.

1 Like

Eating salmon eh?

Maybe they would like to know how it is farmed; I’m sure Andrew Holder ( @ash2020 ) would be very pleased to show them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s all “sustainable” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Great series of pix - thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Barrie :+1: