Corrupt video files

Several times recently I have inadvertently turned off my mini 2 without stopping the video recording via the DJI fly app. This has resulted in the video being saved but also being corrupt. :weary::see_no_evil:

This latest time was due to the excitement of having filmed a kestrel sat on a dry stone wall and forgetting myself when I landed, doh.

I was determined to recover the footage so did a lot of googling and found this free way to recover corrupt video files.

1 Like

One think I do NOT like about my AIR2S is that with my Mavic, takeoff auto starts the camera recording and landing auto turns it off, BUT with the AIR2S no such luxury, I have to start and stop manually and it’s an enormous PIA :rage: causing some corrupted files.

Does anybody know if there is a way to make it behave like the Mavic?

:slight_smile:

If you do turn off your mini 2 before stopping the recording, all that has happened is that the app has been unable to finalise the file, it’s not actually corrupt. All you have to do is turn the mini 2 back on and hit record (no need to be in flight). The app will finalise the previous file before it starts a new recording.

2 Likes

Hi John
Is this guaranteed to work every time :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you for that :+1:t2::+1:t2: I usually don’t realise what I’ve done until everything is packed away and app closed and memory card in the computer. Will this work under those circumstances or just if you realise straight away?

1 Like

Just pop the card back in the drone, power it up, and hit record

1 Like

It has for me. I’m forever forgetting to stop recording. I usually remember when I’m packing my drone away :grimacing:

1 Like

I’ve done that too. I’ve found out about the last video file when I’m downloading, so I turn the drone back on, usually on my desk lol and pop the card back in, hit record for a few seconds. Then stop recording and pop the card back in to your card reader, you should find all files have been finalised.

I discovered this when filming a wedding on one of my GH5’s. Battery went suddenly while recording.

1 Like

No need to even press record when you turn it back on, the Mini’s boot processes close the video file. Boot the drone with the card in.

3 Likes

Thanks for this info guys, appreciated :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, John - lifesaver! Was at my sister-in-law’s wedding yesterday and there was a shot she’d asked me to get. Was in a hurry (and cold) so forgot to stop the recording, so got home today to find the file was corrupt. Panic over.

Hi @JoeC long time, hope you’re well

1 Like

Hey Chris. I am, thanks. Spent a few months immersed in (finally) finishing off a degree… which was immediately followed by a bit of a health scare. Nothing they couldn’t eventually sort with a daily fistful of pharmaceuticals, but it all meant I’ve not really been out flying and have just been the occasional lurker here feeling sorry for myself as the competitions came and went. But the batteries I used yesterday are back in the charger today, so things are looking up :wink:

4 Likes

Very glad to get this one back… Needs a little processing, but might be the perfect fade-out for the end of the video :wink:

2 Likes

No worries Joe, I did it again myself at a wedding yesterday, was getting eating alive by midges and in my rush to get my gear back in the car, forgot to stop recording.

Hope you are well now :+1:

1 Like