Council byelaws (again !)

I don’t know how to do it but would it be worthwhile somehow logging each councils drone policies in a Council Drone Policy Topic?

1 Like

Simply click on the “New Topic” button :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Suppose it could be that simple then just put the council the drone policy status and attach the councils response

Many council policies are linked from the DronePrep map.

1 Like

@kvetner cheers didnt know about that :+1:

Airspace can be restricted surely by both the CAA and by byelaws.
Gunnersbury park and Hanwell zoo are restricted by byelaw https://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/201132/parks_and_open_spaces/643/park_rules_and_bylaws/5?fbclid=IwAR2vIKj64aEYcW6eWlZ8W2mhY0WLMiTZAsoFVzHt-76nY6yoJpyagoIWUYA
All parks in the borough of Ealing require prior permission for each flight

Parks can only restrict access to their land.

They have no control over the airspace above their land.

Your bio says you’ve been a member here since July '19. Have you not read a single thing on GADC in the last 16 months?

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Feel free to start a new topic on that subject mate, we’ll keep this thread on topic for Drone Scene features/developments :+1:t2:

As far as I was led to believe, parks cannot pass byelaws, but councils can. Seeing as this is a council byelaw, as far as I can tell it is legally binding.

I signed up ages ago, but have not really used the site. I am not familiar with what you are referring to, if you can direct me to what you are referring to, that would be helpful

Bylaws can been passed to restrict the take off, landing and operating of a UAV from the owners land either private or council owned Land the only governing bodies that can restrict air space is the CAA or the MOD so therefore if you take off, land and operate your UAV from public rights of way and fly over the land that is controlled by bylaws you haven’t broken any bylaws and you haven’t committed an offence.

5 Likes

This seems to be getting a little silly when talking in terms of London. Basically there is little to nowhere in London where you could take off from that was public right of way but not near eg to a road or private property, especially if you are maintaining line of sight to the drone.
Therefore the dronescene map, wrt London, pretty much any added location implies that you are taking off or landing there, ergo any council byelaws for a park in London would be in effect, hence my assertion that we should be able to mark locations in London which are effectively no-fly zones due to the bye-laws in effect

1 Like

It’s a guide its upto the individual pilot to do their research before each flight the rules and regs are changing all the time meaning a location that was marked on the map 3 years ago as safe to fly may not be safe to fly now. The guys who do a fantastic job is supplying this awesome resource of information can’t be asked to check and double check every single pin added to make sure it’s safe to fly there that would just be far to much work. And if users could add their own no fly zones who would admin that? To make sure that its genuine? All the drone haters could just start adding no fly zones everywhere and the whole of drone scene would be unusable.

3 Likes

Laws regarding drone flying are taking a massive trend towards becoming less permissive. It’s very rare for there to be somewhere where previously you could not fly, but now you can.
When trying to find places to fly (Especially in London, where it’s very hard), it would be extremely useful if there were a resource where someone who is pro-drone can mark places on the map and link to bye-laws that unequivocally make that restriction, to save people time by helping them whittle down their options - if someone who is pro-drone has done the research and can cite why you cannot fly there, there can be a fair amount of confidence that you really cannot fly there -there’s so much FUD going around (Many parkies will tell you “No drone flying in this park” regardless of whether there is any basis in law or not)
I’m not asking the admins to vet every entry - pilots in that area can review things themselves and submit correction requests to the admins if they can show that the information is incorrect.
All I am asking for is a little help in allowing myself and others to use this resource to catalogue where us London flyers can and cannot fly

1 Like

I 100% agree with you and in the exact same boat (London based as well).

When I find entries, I attach the council by-laws so that as you mentioned, if anything kicks off, you’re absolutely in the right for flying where you are.

There are great swatch of outside London that have been blanket banned for drone fliers.

There are a few points in Guildford but many are banned. Boxhill is National Trust. Runnymeade and Windsor are off-limits with Royal Parks and National Trust.

For those of us in and around London, let’s pull together and find place we can fly. Richmond park is getting busier and there must be place outside with no restrictions.

FPV is outright banned in Richmond Park, so I cannot fly there any more, period
If GADC / DroneScene won’t allow us to mark places as off-limits, then maybe we need to work together to make our own map. I did some Google Maps dev many years ago, I could maybe look into resurrecting some old skills to see if I can whip something up, but it would be a real pity to fragment things :frowning:

1 Like

@Doug Lancaster’s reply to me was simpler, follow the drone code. Not sure how they can say follow the drone code and suggest requests will be dealt with on an ad-hoc basis. It’s either code or request, assuming bye-laws are in place to necessitate that

I think that what they are saying is if you want to fly within the drone code fine carry on, but if you want to do something special such as fly close to a building then put in a request with a flight plan and they will consider it.
At least its not no, end of.

1 Like

Cheers guys thats how I’m taking it. They have confirmed that they have no drone policy so as long as im aware of the pspo, follow the drone code and act responsibly its a green light. If I wanted to do anything commercially above and beyond the drone code CAP722 AND 1789 I’d need to get written approval.

2 Likes

Looking forward to EASA, January 1st, a Mini and some legal flying around the parks :grin:

5 Likes