CrazyF411 Flight Controller / ESC issue

Had a couple of issues with my Crux35. It’s fail safed in a couple of locations I really wouldn’t expect it, which made me go hmmm. I’m using TBS Nano Tx/Rx and that has never even blinked on any of half a dozen quads I have that set up on.

The last FS lead annoyingly to a fairly hefty crunch. I thought I’d dinged one of the motors as it wasn’t spinning up correctly. Turns out the motor is just fine (tested on another quad) - but I think the ESC / FC has sadly got some issues.

Plugged into BF and manually spinning up the (new) motor gets this behaviour…

Fails with a single beep. Second beep is when I return throttle slider to zero in BF.

So I’m wondering if this is just the latest symptom of a failing FC. Is £50 for a new one - but is actually in stock atm (mild surprise), but not great if this is what’s failed and there is the potential for the same thing to happen again. :man_shrugging:

Hmmm…

Is it possibly a voltage spike? Have you got a decent sized cap on there?

As for just replacing the FC with the same type, a new one that’s exactly the same is more likely to have the same problem. I’d be tempted to buy a similar one from a more reputable manufacturer… though to be fair HappyModel are pretty good.

Certainly I think I’d be looking at a new FC.

1 Like

That rings no bells…

Is any error reported on the OSD?

No msg that I saw - but I’m using DJI / Vista which gives a limited range of on screen info (it’s set with the hack to display msgs in the craft name field in the OSD but nothing showed up there… or not that I saw as I span into the floor!)

Interesting note re the cap - cheers for the heads up else I probably wouldn’t have looked.

Checked closely and… positive side has come adrift. doh. :man_facepalming:

So, I bought a new FC (same F411) … which is then a complete brain transplant. Actually went back together really sweetly. I backup all the settings in BF then flashed them to the new board. And for once, everything worked! :star_struck:

It’s a whole lotta connections in a stoopidly tiny area overall still tbh!

Just been for a quick hover in the near dark to test it out… my baby is back.:man_dancing: Will go out for a longer razz tomorrow. :grinning:

1 Like

Great stuff… Glad its working again!

1 Like

Yeah, always worth checking the cap. That lead being off may have been what lead to the damage to the FC, which then lead to the failsafes…

1 Like

Super happy it’s all back together… failsafe-ing out of a 7th storey window is never gonna end well… :face_with_peeking_eye:

(Interestingly, no beeps on the audio at all that I can hear)