Crystalsky Overheat Cooling Solution

I’ve found my build date which is 12/12/2017…

So prototype 1.2 has come off the printer,I’ve inserted M3 thread, raided her cards making stock pile for some foam to make gaskets.
I’m really pleased with the air flow from the ports thanks to the 12V fan running at 16v. I’II setup the monitor to ran an entire battery to see if it more stable.
I’m already planning some slight design changes, mainly to accommodate the thread inserts closest to the edge to move them in a bit.

Only clicked on the wrong size fan on eBay…:woozy_face:

3 Likes

Update… blowing through the audio jack has cooled the Crystalsky by 2.5 degrees, to get this average I set up the Inspire for some garden bird watch in order to tax the Crystalsky cpu and electronics.
I then did the DJI update and without the external fan the Crystalsky is running a lot cooler too.
Conclusion is the external fan will be handy on a very hot day, keeping the electronics cool means longer life.
I’m doubting I’ll get much flying done this year due to the virus.
Stay safe…

2 Likes

Good update @Njoro :+1:t2:

Would be interesting to run the same test outside in direct sunlight?

That’s happing tomorrow as I’ve got washing on the line “winter curtains” while the sun shines… got to watch something flattering in the wind…:see_no_evil:

1 Like

So having taken the Crystalsky apart and drilling some vent holes for the fan to breath better, it has actually ran cooler.

I may have found the culprit causing it to shut down…:thinking:

Before I write about my latest discovery,I’ll just include the pictures of the butchers version of attempted solution.

I went out this morning to test a theory after I observed something odd with the tablet while at home. Basically I was setting up and testing 50fps/ 100 4096 17:9 NFV.

The screen was faintly flickering, and I had one of those light :bulb: moments, It was as though it couldn’t work out through its light sensor the level to set its luminescence.

I set the luminous level I wanted and set it with the ‘tick’ button, the Crystalsky ran an entire battery without shutting down, I then let it loop run an SD card of clips for an entire battery and it never shut down.

I went out with a couple of charged batteries to fly this morning and as soon as I fired up the Crystalsky it stayed on long enough to show the camera view then it shut down.
I noticed that there was a ghosted image behind the dark screen, which triggered another :bulb:

I went into the quick menu and switched the ‘tick’ to off then back on again, the Crystalsky screen lit up and adjusted it’s self. I flew two packs solid and although it got hot it never shut down.

I will be going out to test it again with more batteries charge for a much longer test, I’m hoping this is my solution and it’s where the issue lays.

Maybe the solution is “resetting the photo sensor” each time it shuts down…:thinking:

Glad you’re getting somewhere.

Faulty light sensor? :thinking:

Tape it over (or cut it) and just use manual brightness :man_shrugging:

I’ll fly 10 batteries first then might butcher it…:rofl:

1 Like

Tried manual loads of times, didn’t work, DJI said on their forum to press and hold the power button for about 10s I think, but that didn’t work either.

Seeing the ghosted image was a technical revelation…:joy:

Update…
I was able to fly 10 batteries hot swapping in succession while filming a paraglide session without the Crystalsky shutting down.

After booting I’ve established that switching Auto on / off and then leaving it on in Auto, the Crystalsky doesn’t shutdown anymore.

It’s strange and maybe just affects my particular tablet, but it’s worth a try for anyone having this issue.

4 Likes

Great result mate!

1 Like

I’ll continue to monitor it and update this tread accordingly…I’m much happier now…:grin:

2 Likes

As I promised to update this thread, here is my update…

Since discovering that the photocell has something to do with the monitor shutting down, I’ve not had any more shutdowns by following this procedure every time I use it.

1, Turn on Crystalsky.

2, I have my Manual brightness at about 50%

3, Turn Auto Brightness Off then back On again.

This method has been flawless, the monitor doesn’t over heat nor randomly shuts anymore.

1 Like

Bizarre… it really is!

But so glad you found a solution :+1:t2:

The answer to all things in the electronic universe. :wink:

When I was a boy, my dad used to hit electrical things like the TV, it didn’t work on the Crystalsky so I thought as it’s a modern bit of kit I’d drill it first.

I then found out that you have to have luck as the main tool.

1 Like

Ah - yeah. Them rattly valves in the TV that would miraculously re-seat if the box was thumped at the correct angle! :+1:

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: DJI CrystalSky internal battery