Dad fined for flying daughters drone?

But, because it was equipped with cameras, it is classed as being a small unmanned surveillance aircraft and was therefore being operated without permission from the Civil Aviation Authority and was breaching air navigation law

Good journalism that.

2 Likes

How can it be journalism when both grammar and spelling are worse than mine :rofl: :rofl:
But not everyone took that much notice of news relating to drones,?(ie; I donā€™t buy papers or watch tv)
Goes to show that suppliers should make customers aware that there are regs to adhere to. :thinking:
He was lucky I guess, only Ā£175

2 Likes

I lived for a while in this area, trust me you would never get away with anything up this area if you are an outsider or disliked maybe because ā€¦you have a drone.
What he did was wrong but Ā£175 seems a bit steep to me for a man with a disabled daughter, perhaps a lesser fine to begin with and impose a 12 if caught again doing so ?
You can tell the police went for him sighting perverting the course of justice.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what makes the story, wait till the Daily Mail get hold of it

1 Like

Daughter shouldnā€™t really come into it.

Suppose it is an absolute offence, the circumstances dont matter and you are guilty even if you did not intend to commit a criminal act.

If a driver was caught driving his disabled daughter to a hospital after six pints, heā€™d still be guilty and subject to the same minimum penalty as anyone else.

5 Likes

Why did he have to ā€œhand the drone overā€ā€¦? Does the drone get confiscatedā€¦?

Probably seized as evidence.

I do feel sorry for the guy but if I buy any piece of kit, whether a drone, a car, a gun or anything else, I am responsible for it and should know the law. The magistrate reduced the fine because he pleaded (ā€˜pledā€™ in Scotland) guilty. He did the right thing admitting his mistake.

1 Like

Small bit of sympathy as a disabled daughter involved. However, most have been living under a rock not to have noticed the broo-ha regarding Gatwick/Heathrow etc and this Novemberā€™s compulsory registration ? :man_facepalming: Being from the NE (of England), initially a tad confused, but I suppose Scotland is allowed to have ā€˜theirā€™ NE ( as indeed are a
Wales/NI ):wink:

1 Like

Fake news. It has to be. Andy McNab, really, has anyone checked?

1 Like

Tbh when i got my 1st drone a few months ago i was totally ignorant of the drone code until i joined a group, Iā€™d have probably done exactly the same thing, not now i must add lol passed with 97% fully insured but still learn something new every day

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure many people will still be ignorant to the laws. Some will just see the drones as expensive toys that theyā€™ll use in their local parks or fields. Every drone sold should come with some sort of paperwork advising the buyer of the drone code/laws.

2 Likes