Dangling a VIRB 360 from Phantom 3 Pro

Hi All,

So I got a Garmin Virb 360 camera the other day and naturally thought what would it be like if I hung that from my drone…

Is it legal to do this?

The footage was awesome but a bit wobbly with the camera swinging around like crazy when breaking and turning. Ideally I’d have it fixed to a pole or something more rigid than a cord.

I think if I do it again, I would try to have the lenses facing up and down with exposure settings independent of each other. This way the ground might not be so dark.

3 Likes

Does the P3P not do 360 panos on its own? How did you land it, it would be harder to land with a fixed pole hanging down.

Easy hand catch on the P3’s

2 Likes

Not sure… I’ve done a few stitching together with the Litchi pano function but got the settings wrong. My main thing was to record 360 video in 5.7K to watch back in VR.

I had intended to hand land it but Litchi decided to over rule me and landed it before I could walk over. luckily a bit of wind helped and the camera was dragged a to the side before the P3 landed on top of it.

I have it all on 360 video but I hesitate to upload as I’m probably doing something against some kind of rules.

None of the DJI drones do 360 video, though.

No, but I think the camera he had dangling from it does

That was my point - he was taking 360 video … you asked

2 Likes

I can’t see why not. AFAIK there is nothing in any regulations such as the ANO to prevent an underslung load being carried by a UAV - else many gimbals could be considered illegal. I’ve seen a 360 video camera underneath an inspire on a metre long vertical carbon tube.

If you were dropping the camera mid-flight - that would be illegal.

I am hoping to fly my Samsung Gear underneath my modified 550 once it is finished, I’ll be very intersted in your progress with 360 videos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably depends if it takes it over the Max Takeoff Weight. If anything should go wrong and the CAA or police get involved it may be a problem otherwise can’t see that it’s an issue.