Darwin Baby Ape Pro V2 - Ali Express is tempting me

I’m looking at getting into fpv quads and have been using some simulators for the last week to learn. So far only on a game controller but I have a Radiomaster Pocket on order.

Looking on Ali Express and I see the winter sale starts tomorrow and there will be Darwin BabyApe Pro v2 bnf ELRS for £66. I know they’re cheap for a reason, but at that price is there any reason I should avoid?

Has anyone here got one and upgraded the vtx? If so, what vtx would you recommend?

I’ll also be ordering Ev800d goggles in the sale. All in, the whole lot will come in at £175 plus batteries.

I was also toying with a mobula6 or meteor65 for indoors, but they’re nearly twice the price.

Do you have a link or info on ESC/FC?

Not sure if identical to this, for example:

Don’t have one myself though do want to grab a 3-3.5" at some stage. Looks like the frame comes apart easily enough so just need to check flight stack to see what VTX compatibility there is; never heard of those goggles either but am sure someone will have some :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: If it is identical to the one I linked, I don’t know about flying 3" at 2-3S - I have a 2" running 4S. Hopefully someone has one/better info though

It’s this one here. Whilst it says PNP, there is the option in the order for an ELRS BNF version

DarwinFPV Baby Ape Pro V2 3 Inch 2-3S FPV Racing RC Drone PNP Quadcopter F4 FC 15A AIO ESC 1104 Motor 5.8G VTX Caddx Ant Camera

The goggles are these ones

This breaks that myth
See Bardwells review on it, cheap? YES, good? VERY

I’ve got Walksnail 1S Lite on mine

I fully expected to be underwhelmed once I started checking the links given the price, but actually it’s fairly decent looking. I don’t think I’d consider it at the full £166.77 price, but for £72, it’s a good entry drone.

My main consideration on getting my first drone was trying to pick the right techs that I wouldn’t be starting over when I wanted to upgrade. I don’t know how long those “moggles” will be good for, for example, but again, given how cheap they are, if it gets you out flying quick, :+1:

For ref, I assume this one:

Yes, I watched that video and started rechecking my Ali Express links. The one I’ve shared is BNF with the receiver already fitted, I hope :grinning:.

I’ll be referring to the rest of that video as a setup guide as it seems to talk through the steps in a nice beginner friendly way.

I’m definitely interested in that walksnail conversion. Is it an easy fit in the Darwin frame?

Yes, same mounting hole sizes as the FC.
3D prints in TPU for the camera
Raised the top deck up a few mm’s with longer spacers to create more air gap for cooling
Simple RX/TX and power connections straight on to the FC

I wanted GPS so I changed FC to gain more uarts also added a Vifly buzzer but not essential for the Walksnail mod

I’ll post some photos :grinning:

Nice, I’ve ordered the drone and the goggles this morning.

Now to find some batteries .

Price listed is without VAT
But might tempted to fit OpenHD to it

Yep, the VAT caught me out when I ordered it, even though I should have remembered from the last few items I’ve bought from AliExpress.

It’s ordered now, so hopefully will arrive next week as it’s got a Jan 15th Delivery Date.

Just for the record, another happy owner here (two, actually, got one for my son’s first quad). Great little machine. I also have a Darwin 79 which has proved to be very robust.

I must get out flying again sometime… :thinking:

4 Likes