Data Protection advise please?

What was the (this)

Oh… it’s gone (or I messed up the link). Not sure if it’s been removed, so I shalln’t repost it… but if you Google for “guardian mark thomas download this card” it’s up at the top of the results. :slight_smile:

Amidst all the kerfuffle re the royal couple “wanting out” there was a photo that appeared in at least one of the tabloids and also shown on TV I think of HM driving around Sandringham and looking thoroughly p***** off.

Doubt the pic was taken with a drone as doing that near HM would probably bring the SAS out. However it was clearly taken outside Sandringham grounds at some distance from HM presumably without her permission! No consequences AFAIK.

As I posted a while back there are plenty of examples of people filming in all sorts of places deliberately to test their civil right to do so. Not aware of police doing anything to stop it when involved.

Is there really any suggestion that people are prevented from filming on their mobiles? Good luck with that! I can imagine someone outside a school videoing children might get an interview from plod but such exceptions are few.

Not a golfing expert but surely drones are used to video golf courses regularly? Individuals would not be identifiable any way and could be removed in post editing so the reasons for refusal of the request to film in the original post are flimsy to say the least.

Better to not ask and play the village idiot if challenged. Of course unless you actually press the right buttons you are not actually photographing or videoing merely flying FPV, of course within LOS, so the problem would be?

Of course even walking on private property without permission could be an issue but flying over it from a take off point outside should not be a problem. The golf club has no status outside its own property.

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not produce cards with Grey Arrows Drone Club logos on them. People may think you’re flying with/under the club’s permission.

Perhaps the club could produce something like this.

[ ATTACHMENT REMOVED ]

Cut it on the black lines and fold it on the middle one then laminate it in a credit card size pouch.

2 Likes

You could fill the white background with a pale blue from the header. Just tried it and it looks pretty good.

Yes,

I completely agree, hence why I asked.

I could 100% fly it anyway but little repercussions to myself but for the community it’s just another excuse for folk to kick off.

I will respect their wishes and concentrate on my golf!

There is a lot of nonsense about photography generally.
The crux is, that there can be no expectation of privacy in a public place. And in any case, as soon as you’re higher than 20m, individuals will not be identifiable anyway.

Why are drones being singled out? Well, because they’re fairly new technology, and could be seen as slightly sinister.

I have a camera when cycling, in case of an incident, and have had an argument with someone who claimed it was illegal to film them without permission. nonsense of course.

2 Likes

As someone who works in a 500 CCTV camera set up, GDPR is a complete PITA, and the data protection regs that preceded it were just as bad.

I have to have a valid reason (protection of people and property don’t just wash anymore) to watch any recorded footage back, this has to be audited to the n’th degree too.

I see it from both sides, just there have been too many instances of folks flying drones over back gardens, and down busy beaches etc.

Not sure where it will end.

1 Like