Didmarton Bluegrass Festival & Cotswold Airport FRZ

My sister’s family frequents the Didmarton Bluegrass Festival every year. Which is based right next door to the old Kemble Airfield, now Cotswold Airport. This year, she asked if I wanted to join, so my family (me, wife plus 2 teenagers) headed up there for the weekend.

Prior to leaving, I contacted the Cotswold Airport Operation Team, and requested permission to fly at the site so I could capture some photos and videos of the festival. I have dealt with them before (thanks to last years Birthday Comp), but this time I had to submit my first proper risk assessment. Which I did, and I was granted permission for the weekend to fly within their FRZ.

Upon arrival at the festival, I mentioned that I had permission from the Air Traffic Control tower to fly, and showed them my authorisation. Before I knew it, my family and I were wearing VIP weekend wristbands, which didn’t cost a penny … in return for content … which I happily agreed to!

However, I was not exactly prepared for what came next. The festival site was managed by the Ogri Motorcycle Club. And the festival treasurer asked me to meet with them at 6pm that evening within the festival. Nice lads, but they had visions of ‘Ron Howard’ movies when informing me of ‘The Plan’ :scream:

They wanted me to follow them with my Mini 2 about 1/2 miles into the festival, with them on their bikes in arrow formation. The road was litterally adjacent to the airport, with the runway about 20m away. The wind was already gusting at 20+ mph. After 2 failed runs due to not being able to keep up and the distance the drone was away from me, they suggested that I sit on the back of a ‘follow bike’, and control the flight from there :scream: Defo a first for me … but being a once in a lifetime opportunity, I was game.

A photo of the bikers, the Mini 2 and me on the back of the bike at that back, with the Mini 2 just infront above me:

Needless to say, it was a very unique and fun weekend :joy::+1:

Both the Bluegrass Festival organisers and the Ogri MCC are very happy with the content, and I have already been invited back for next year’s fest … with further potential work with Ogri MCC.

6 Likes

Here’s a better one of me flying the Mini 2 on the back of the bike. It certainly helped with VLOS and improved the signal :wink:

1 Like

That is TRULY brilliant, well done you @clinkadink

He’s doing well keeping that front wheel down :joy:

Thank you, Steve, very kind of you to say :+1:

Cheeky bar steward :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Great vid, you not joining the club :+1:t2:

Awesome work as a standard mate.

Suprised you weren’t tempted to get some footage with the avata

Cheers Howard! I only got the Avata last weekend, and this festival was a month ago. Shame, as the Avata was made for this :+1:

There’s always next year mate - you’ll have mastered it by then

A year has past already, and just received a phone call asking me to come back and film this year’s festival at RAF Kemble. Same deal, free VIP tickets for me and my family from Thursday 31 August to 3 September. I gladly agreed, as it was a lot of fun last year - except this year, I will not be talked into flying from a back of a motorbike.

I’ve just submitted my request to fly within Cotwolds (RAF Kemble) Airport FRZ, as it is 600 ft from the perimeter fence, including a risk assessment, GADC insurance certificate and credentials. Hopefully they agree, they are normally very accommodating :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi, quick question, do you have a form or process for producing a risk assessment and is that part of a wider certification?

Thanks in advance.

-n

1 Like

I got it on the A2 CofC training with UAVHUB a couple of years ago. It is pretty self explanatory.

WILT-023 - UAV Risk Assessment (Cotswolds Airport) - Copy.xlsx (45.4 KB)

Thanks, that’s great.

Much appreciated

I finally managed to get around to editing this year’s video of Didmarton Bluegrass Festival, and just shared it with the festival team.

2 Likes

@clinkadink Nice one Chris. Seemed like a lively event and the weather looked amazing and with a timelapse to match. :clap:.

1 Like

Cheers Col. It’s getting bigger each year, this year being the 35th. I’ve only been twice, but my sister has been trying to convince me to go for the last 15 years or so. But I thought it sounded a bit ‘tree hugging hippy’ for me. But it’s definitely not. Great fun. Yeah, amazing weather. I was a bit nervous leaving my Insta360 X3 attached to my 3m selfie stick on top of the GADC trailer for 3 hours (for the timelapse), whilst I’m down the main stage. But all was good :+1:

I thought it sounded a bit “Deliverance” like but I’m a rock fan at heart. :grin: Brave of you to leave the 360 in the dark :rofl:

1 Like

Me too. But it is good stomping music.

It’s fine, the GADC trailer now has CCTV.

2 Likes