Digital FPV.....DJI vs HDZero vs Orqa vs Walksnail vs openhd.....?

I give you 3 months including the 2 month wait lol

Question is do I sell up the DJI system now while it still has a bit of value and go back to digital for a few months? :thinking: lol

Just to change the subject slightly

???

Was meant to say… sell the DJI goggles and go back to Analogue for a couple of months lol

Why?

1 Like

I’ll be frank now Steve. I’m ecstatic with hdzero. Especially with that sim card I found of someone flying through clouds over the sea.

But really. I like hdzero. The picture aint that far off (the dji fpv drone is better though than the air unit jobbys). And the 1w vtx is a real pleasure to fly. When there are no dji pilots mucking up the bands.

To get some money back before the prices tank lol

Thats the main thing mate, if it does everything you need/want then theres no need to change :+1:t2:

1 Like

I started a couple weeks ago into FPV and held back on the goggles in lieu of what was coming out on the digital front (also following some advice given here). I’ll keep waiting a bit more, at least until HDZero launches their stuff before pulling the trigger on something.

This new FS/Walksnail/Caddx/DJI is not for me, as DJI already wasn’t, not saying its bad gear, but their principles just don’t gel with me (and I’m not saying that what they do is right or wrong, I just don’t like it)…

My chips are on HDZero at this point in time, maybe something else comes along the way… who knows.

Until then, I hope to have gone through enough packs on my TW and pulling off all sorts of shenanigans with it… lol

2 Likes

I’d definitely recommend trying both. If you can make this year’s big meet you can.

If not, @Steviegeek and I could plan a trip down Kent way to meetup and check out @SirGunner spots, which is closer to you.

I’m sure I’d like both, the product itself is not the problem… I’m in a phase of trying to be more conscious of what/who I’m endorsing with my money (I blame midlife crisis and all that jaz) lol

Still pending on the big meet, but more likely not to happen for me this time around, although the whistle hasn’t been blown yet.
Which is not to say that there wont be other opportunities, hopefully, to meet you all and have some fun flying around and this

is very kind of you. I would be keen on joining at some of the impromptu get together…

:+1:

2 Likes

Gonna cost me another small fortune now :man_facepalming:t3: lol

Have you bought it?

Not yet but I was close to pre ordering last night :grimacing: lol Im going to resist for now though :laughing:

I’ve watched a few talking heads on YouTube discussing this big unveil :yawning_face: by Fatshark and I’m still none the wiser.

One thing the unveiling did was create more questions than answers for me, such as.

1. Is it the DJI system? It certainly looks, smells, and tastes like DJI.

2. If it’s not DJI then why won’t Fatshark and Caddx/Walksnail show how it’s not DJI?

3. Why go to all this trouble and advertise preorders when it’s blatantly obvious that whatever it is, is a million miles from being ready to market? Is this some kind of Kickstarter?

Not having a way to input video to the goggles means it’s a non-starter for me, as this prohibits using what is an expensive accessory for anything else. Even the DJI Goggles can be made to accept an analog signal, or another digital signal with the use of a readily available converter.

There’s also a growing interest in Project Margarine, judging by the notifications I’m receiving from the GitHub page, which gives me hope in extending the life of the DJI Goggles. Maybe, if the Dominator HD system is a rework of the DJI system, and not just an unauthorised clone, that maybe Margarine might offer some sort of compatibility between the old and the new.

As for the raving about 1080p… I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between a good analog camera and VTX combo, and that of HDZero and DJI@60fps.

2 Likes

I think it would be wise to resist and wait, too many unknowns and thinking rationally does it really give much more than HDZERO which is more mature and will under go some great changes in the ‘open’ space.
TBH I’m ignoring it at the moment, I think it’s a timed PR release of a product that is not yet ready
MTPW :grinning:

2 Likes

Its definitely not ready yet thats for sure. I feel it has a huge potential though and Im looking forward to see where its heading

BURN THE UNBELIEVER!

(I thought LCDs looked markedly worse than CRTs when they first came out. :astonished:)

I think one possible reason why they “launched” the product now was to steal thunder from HDZero, which has been headlining on the FPV circle quite a bit and potentially gaining a nice chunk of the market share as a result.