Distance display on DJI RC controller

Has anyone else noticed that the distance on the dji RC goes up without the drone moving. I just had the controller and drone turned on and according to the controller the drone was slowly moving away from the controller, it was not flying at the time, and I was sitting with the controller in my hand.
You can see in the photo that the controller is up to 20.1 ft and the drone is 30" away.

What’s the GPS reception like on the controller in the room you’re currently sitting in? :smiley:

It’ll be fighting to get a decent positional fix and it’s just “gps drift” as it locks on to more (or less!) satellites.

@PingSpike I had 15 satellites at the time indoors. It has also done it outside. One flight the controller said the drone was over 400ft away, whilst it was actually about 4ft from me.

On what Gary? The drone or the controller?

Test it outside. all sorts of issues interfering with it

Whichever it is that shows at the top of the controller screen

It looks like you’re indoors. GPS is notoriously inaccurate and variable indoors.

With variable inaccuracy in the drone’s GPS and variable inaccuracy in the controller’s GPS … it should be expected that it reports a variable distance.

Get outside in clear space … how DJI expect it to be used.

1 Like

@Sparkyws @OzoneVibe It has done in the past when I have been out flying. Not always, but occasionally. It doesn’t bother me too much, just wondered if anyone else had the same.

That’ll be the drone.

You could try calibrating everything and see if it helps. Compass, IMU and the compass on the tablet if you can.

Two things the DJI displays don’t show, which you do see with Ardupilot/PX4 based systems are the HDOP (Horizontal Dilution Of Position) and VDOP (Vertical Dilution Of Position).

These values are an indication of the accuracy of a GPS obtained position based on such things as satellite signal strength, frequency and time difference, and other technical stuff that only a Teafal Toaster Head could interpret.

I can get a satellite lock on my phone, with anything up to 16 satellites on my phone, while Sat on the sofa, but the HDOP value can translate to a positional error of 30metres which changes as the HDOP value fluctuates.

Yes. The GPS signal from satellites hundreds of miles above us is very weak by the time it gets down here, so not only lower GPS signal strength indoors, but also interference from other wifi / bluetooth / mobile phones / radio devices anywhere in the local area can cause problems, not to mention radio reflections from metal surfaces such as fridges / washing machines etc in the building.

When I was a lad, the (analog CRT) televison picture would go wobbly when planes flew over, probably interference from aircraft ground radar.