DJI FPV Stick / controller Settings

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a silly question. Have read the manual for the FPV drone and figured out the acro manual mode and did a few flips/rolls without binning it! I want to understand what the ideal controller settings are. I know the F2/F1 adjustments are available but did my first manual flight with standard centering stick settings. What are the preffered settings for FPV? Is it where both sticks are free from centring resistance? What about the sensitivity settings, are there recommended values for smooth cinematic FPV flying? Thanks in advance for any help!!

I’d assume everything is spring centred apart from the throttle

3 Likes

Mode 2 control is left stick with no spring in the up and down axis and all other directions are springed back to centre :+1:t2: right stick should be sprung in all directions back to centre :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Rahim explains it pretty well here

3 Likes

Expo is your friend, especially when first starting out in ACRO. Increasing the value for all control axis will smooth out any micro shakes you may have, especially as the stick gimbals are not what I’d call full throw.

Actual values will come down to personal choice but a stick center sensitivity value of 160 appears to be most peoples default. I found the default rate values to be rather slow so I bumped that up to 700 degrees per second. This maybe a tad too fast for those just starting out. I think an EXPO value of 0.8 will provide the accuracy needed for slow precise control for cinematic and will reduce the tendancy to overshoot and overcorrect, especially when performing full loops and rolls.

I think it’s remiss of DJI not to include an EXPO adjustment on the throttle. This would be beneficial when flying in Normal and Sport modes as it would make it easier to maintain a constant altitude on a non-centering throttle control.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks. When the F1 and F2 are adjusted on the left stick, does this only disable centring in the throttle? Or does this also disable the right left centering on the left stick?

They adjust the spring and the amount of friction on the throttle.

On mine I adjusted the friction so that the throttle axis did not move when the controller was shaken. This reduces the risk of unwanted throttle if the controller gets bumped. You want the action to be both smooth but with a small amount of resistance.

1 Like

I don’t own the DJI FPV so can’t be 100% sure but my understanding is you take off the rear grip and you can adjust the spring tension this should only be for the up and down of the throttle and not left and right.

I’ll tag in the @group-dji-fpv so that some of the members who actually own the drone will come along and confirm :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Adjust the left stick so it doesn’t ping back to the middle. It’s a completely different control setup in acro, as you will have found. zero power is down on the left stick, full power is full forward. After a while I also adjusted the rates to make it a bit easier to start with. This video was a good one to do this- easier for when you’re starting out: The Best Rate Tune for DJI FPV Drone - Fixing DJI's Rates - YouTube

Also, this was a great tutorial video for learning the basics of acro flying. DJI FPV Manual Mode | Top 9 Drills So You Can LEARN TO FLY Acro Flight Quickly! - YouTube

I’m a year in, 3 trips back to Belgium to fix the drone having become one with a tree. It’s a learning curve but when you get a bit further down the road and you’re getting your head around smooth acro flying, it’s awesome

1 Like

Good advice Nidge, exactly.

2 Likes

Thanks for this!!