DJI FPV Still sealed in box. Scared to fly it

Were you on the same Mindfulness Course as me @speatuk?

Joking aside there is an overwhelming amount of truth in what Steve has said. As individuals we don’t have a lack of ability but rather our ability is limited by our own fears. We can only gain an ability if we accept we will make mistakes but at the same time learn from those mistakes.

No one is expecting you to go full “Balls to the wall” as soon as you take the drone out of the box. It has been built to be beginner friendly. You can progress through the various options that increase its performance at your own pace. In normal mode it is very sedate, and if you find yourself getting panicked you can go hands off and it will just stop, like any other GPS Assisted quad. In FPV you will likely find it easier to fly than LOS. In fact the majority of folk in my club that I’ve introduced to FPV have found this to be very true and quite surprising.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s still in the box. Going out to look for wide open spaces now. If I find suitable ones i’ll keep it

1 Like

Maybe :thinking:
My philosophy in life is quite simple, it is to enjoy. Do what YOU want to do. Yes this is I suppose, selfish. What do I care what anyone else thinks? I’ll answer, I don’t care at all. I never worry. I don’t get stressed. (Anymore) I smile and laugh A LOT every day. I make eye contact with everyone I meet and smile. This could be someone in a motor vehicle at a junction. The response is mostly positive and usually followed by a smile back and a wave.

We are here on this tiny planet for a very small amount of time when you put time into context.

So why waste what little you have on trivial things?
No mater how hard it seams to be or how bad you have it, someone else somewhere is in a worse state of affairs. So when things happen I tend to shrug them off and try, if possible, to look for or find a resolution to the matter in question. If I can’t find a resolution then move on. :man_shrugging: It’s happened no amount of worry will fix whatever the problem is. Stay calm and oh well. That’s it then. Every possession you have is, quite literally an immaterial object. It just makes you “feel” better, or makes others look at you in envy. Which quite literally makes some people feel better in themselves. What’s all that about? We enjoy this hobby for fun. Because that is what it is, a hoppy. If it becomes an unhappy situation then you probably should not be doing it. Whatever you are doing, if the unhappy situation arises due to let’s say in this instance, you crash and destroy a drone. Or you “worry you might.” If it is totally destroyed and you have no means of repairing or replacing it. Maybe you shouldn’t have bought it. Perhaps you overstretched yourself to have the thing you so desperately needed? But, and I do say but, did you really need it in the first place. Or did you allow peer pressure to “pressure” you into the purchase?
As I said above it’s a thing that’s all it is. An immaterial object or possession. It’s there to make YOU feel good.

Another scenario.

You play golf. You hit the ball to the best of your ability and it does not go where you wanted it to. What do you do? Do you worry where it has gone or worry you might hit someone on the golf course?
Laugh and keep practicing. Or get stressed out and then end up smashing the clubs?

I laugh and try to do a happy Gilmore. Which normally turns out me missing the ball and everyone laughing at me. Result. Situation diffused.
If you can laugh at yourself, life becomes so much simpler. The problem with society of today is people are far too serious. We allow others to influence how “we” are feeling and get upset far to easy.

Enjoy it, if you are too worried to enjoy it. You don’t need it.

Sorry to go on so long. I just find far too many people are far to serious and very very easily influenced by others.

Smile and enjoy yourself as much as you can.

:grin::facepunch:

7 Likes

And often, that’s only a wisdom that comes with age.

1 Like

Send it back or sell it or save it until you’ve flown fpv and built up some confidence with it(I’m assuming you haven’t)

I’d like one but have decided to buy a much cheaper set up until I’ve the skills for something like the DJI fpv.

I’d agree with most that’s been said but can also understand you don’t want to send it flying in to the ground at a rapid rate.

Best of luck whatever you decide

1 Like

I’ll give you 73p and a bag of crisps (flavour of your choice) for it. Can collect ASAP :grin:

3 Likes

:point_up_2:plus a curly wurly

2 Likes

I’ll raise you a wham bar

2 Likes

or the diagnosis of a terminal illness

4 Likes

To be fair Steve, you are old as well :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:shushing_face:

:grin:

1 Like

Had my first real flight with the FPV today, still nowhere near confident enough to try manual yet but the sod is pretty fast in sports mode, according to Airdata I hit 65 mph, and according to my spotter (wife) annoyed a flock of geese, never saw them myself. My big issue with it that the googles seem to trigger a migraine if I use them for more than 10 minutes, that could be a real issue.

Is that the GOOGLES! being too tight or the stress caused by flying.
Perhaps you should get a smartwatch to monitor heartbeat. See if there is a correlation.

1 Like

I’ll extend my crisp based offer to you as well. Although as yours is now used, I get to pick the flavour instead.

1 Like

Damn autocorrect :rofl: I actually do have a smart watch but it’s not showing anything untoward. It happens in the simulator when the flights are longer but as yesterday’s flight was the first flight of more than a couple of minutes I landed after about 7 minutes when I felt a migraine starting. I’ll try adjusting the tension in the straps and see if that makes a difference.

Maybe lower the brightness too, were you sat or stood?

I was sitting, rather frightened of falling over if standing

It’s a completely new flying experience takes a few flights to get used to it.
Batteries don’t last long anyway :rage:

1 Like

I found a big wide open space with no horses + large expanses of water about 8 minutes away. She’s out of the box. Looking for insurance as DJI care refresh costs are way to high on this.

Gotta own up - this is the 2nd time. 1st one went back to Argos after I was dive bombing in and out of fields and screeching over trees at god knows what speed having an absolute ball, I had a woman tell me i’d scared her mom’s horse causing her to fall off and she may have broken ribs. Her mom looked fine. Then she took my name and phone number and said she was going to report me to somebody up on the hill. I had spent many a peaceful hour flying my mavic around there without any trouble. This however was a totally different beast. I was shocked and excited at the speed and power of the drone and looking through the goggles was exhilerating. But at the same time I felt like a guilty criminal with a powerful and dangerous, screaming missile. So sadly i sent it back. After a few days I ordered another one. I just couldn’t miss out on that amount of fun. I still had misgivings and left it in the box thinking it would get me into trouble again.

Yea have to avoid livestock it’s not silent by any means can be heard 2000 feet away.
Rule of thumb if in a new area I chuck the mini up to scope the area out first.