DJI Gimble calibration, why can't you calibrate while hovering?

That is exactly what I have had to do as most of the places I’ve flown so far are surrounded with grass.

Haha great improvisation :rofl:

I usually find a smallclearing(?)

That was also under a very low canopy of trees. :+1:

1 Like

I may have to but I just think they’re a bit gaudy and attract extra attention :confused:

2 Likes

A good trample of the grass works.

Take some scissors to clear a patch? Garden sheers? :rofl:

2 Likes

:thinking:
A hover-mower might attract too much attention.

But it would create a perfectly sized clearing.

1 Like

So does it need to be perfectly level to initialize properly? Or just be clear of debris? I assumed it needed to be perfectly level on initialization and calibrated the gimble each time lol

1 Like

Not perfectly level, nope. Only needs that for the gimble cal.

I’ve got leg extensions that mean it’s sat at a slightly different angle … not an issue.

When totally off piste, and grass/etc an issue, I’ll stick it on some handy rocks that won’t be level.

1 Like

So - here’s what happens …

Gimble calibration : Inside the camera body there’s a solid-state gyroscope. Gimble calibration calibrates this to the real life horizontal. It really doesn’t vary (unless, like me, you replace the camera with a different one).

Gimble Initialisation : This checks out the gimble movement relative to the solid-state gyroscope and it’s previous calibration.

2 Likes

OK cool so its not as big an issue as I was starting to think. So I will find a good level surface at home and recalibrate the gimble again and then just find a make shift initialization point or hand hold while I’m out and see how that goes :+1:t2: I think I’m a little OCD as it annoys me when I line up the horizon with the grid lines and its slightly off :rofl: Thanks for the advice guys you’ve all been brilliant as always :+1:t2:

1 Like

Also - check how to roll the camera in case you need it. :+1:

1 Like

Google is on it as we speak :+1:t2: :rofl:

As above - that one could roll the camera only became a nuisance to me.

Looking at pics of the MA2 controller, I don’t see the additional buttons.

It may be possible from within the GoFly app, since they removed the buttons per the previous MP/M2P/MA/Inspire/P4 controllers.

2 Likes

Right Wheel.

2 Likes

Yes typo

Edit: Actually - not - I had it correct originally - didn’t see he had it incorrect when I agreed.

2 Likes

I’m looking now but can’t find any tilt adjustment controls so far. They have speed adjustment but not tilt. Maybe they will release it as a feature in future updates? :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Well - as I say - it really shouldn’t be needed … so, with newer designs of gimbles perhaps they managed to eradicate the rare instances where it was needed.

1 Like

My drone isn’t connected at the moment so I can’t drill down through all the settings, but I think the option you’re looking for to adjust the gimbal roll using DJI Fly is in here @SirGunner

3 Likes

@PingSpike Thank you Rich thats excellent! I hadn’t noticed the manual option before. Cheers mate! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Am I right in thinking that adjustments made this way are inly temporary? I.e once the drone has been switched off and back on again it would go back to previous calibration settings.

1 Like