DJI Gimble calibration, why can't you calibrate while hovering?

So I’m trying to workout why you can’t calibrate the camera gimble while hovering? I’m probably missing something here but as I see it surely when you’re in a steady hover the drone is perfectly level right? When you’re out in the countryside its really hard to find a perfectly flat surface to calibrate the gimble. Any views or opinions?

Nope - if there’s any wind the drone will be tilted toward it.

1 Like

What about just after take off at very low level? Surely that would be better than on a 45 degree hillside? Lol

It takes a couple of minutes for it to complete a gimble recal. Why bother wasting time to do one that will probably end up with an error?

I’d also ask why you need to do one so urgently? You can adjust the gimble roll whilst in flight.

The only time in 4 years I’ve done a gimble recal is after removing and refitting.

3 Likes

I’ve never done one on MP and M2P.

2 Likes

Show off! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That’s what happens when you don’t break it :rofl:

1 Like

You can? Where abouts can I find this on DJI Fly app? I thought you needed to recalibrate the gimble before each flight? So have I been wasting my time? Lol

Big time :rofl:

1 Like

On the MA2, I’m not totally certain.

On the MP it’s the left button underneath (C2?) and the right wheel.

3 Likes

Lmao :rofl: thanks for the tip

1 Like

I can adjust up/down movement and left/right rotation movement but can’t find any adjustment for the left/right tilt. I’ll have to have another look.

The only reason I discovered I could adjust the MP was that it kept on changing … somehow I was accidentally catching the button when trying to change the EV. Took me ages to work it out (whilst touring Italy and before GADC existed).

1 Like

Fix it in post.

1 Like

On the inspire I hold the ‘C’ button on the back left and dial the dial on the left If I remember rightly.

As mentioned above a recal of the gimble should only be needed if it is visibly wrong.

1 Like

That’s not so easy using the DJI app … the only edit app I had on my phone at the time after my laptop went phuttt!

1 Like

Same as MP.

1 Like

Most of the time its ok but if I turn the drone on and it initializes in slightly long grass (the MA2 has really short legs and the camera hangs a smidge off ground level) I get a gimble error and it seems to be slightly off.

1 Like

That is likely the problem then as it’s unable to complete its initial self check.

Maybe buy a landing pad or similar to raise it up out of the grass.

1 Like

There’s the problem. Use short grass, landing pad (I don’t), hand hold whilst it initialises (not really recommended … but that has been the only option prior to a totally necessary hand launch), etc. :wink:

I’ve even used up-turned flip-flops. :rofl:

2 Likes