DJI launching an app to allow ANYONE to view your flight info

We might as well light a flare to mark our location when we fly

7 Likes

Good plan, perhaps we shud setup a gazebo and offer tea n coffee too with biscuits and cake to quell the anger from the public.

Maybe even offer taster sessions for those unexpected new ā€˜friendsā€™ who want to come and ā€˜chatā€™

2 Likes

Plenty of Martello Towers along the south coast to fly from ā€¦ once weā€™ve reinstated the cannons. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Having had more of my fair share of curtain twitchers, whom after reading a pamphlet consider themselves to be oracles, I donā€™t see this as a good idea and in fact could be a major headache for the user and the authorities alike.

A case in point.

Recently in Pennsylvania a retired veteran was cleared of ill doing in a court with a jury.
He had been accused of flying his Mavic over a canine training area, both day and night, and maliciously intimidating the dogs. if convicted he would have been subject to a hefty prison sentence.
He obviously denied these charges and subsequently, for two years, he was in and out of the court system. The turmoil obviously had a heavy effect on his health and the stress to his family.

Thankfully he had a very proactive defence team, who were able to obtain the data from the internal encrypted SD Card of his Mavic, and the jury were shown in real-time his flight logs and how the accusations were totally unfounded. But again I believe this took nearly two years to resolve, Robert Layman, the defendant was acquitted of all charges that had been brought against him but was ordered to pay $150 fine for exceeding the FAAā€™s BYLOS rule.

It was the main subject on this weeks ā€œDrone and Sundryā€ videocast, but while there is a lot of media coverage about the case while going through the courts as usual thereā€™s next to nothing reporting the outcome. The only link I could find is not available either because of my location or its subscription only.

Hereā€™s a link from March of this year.

Regards

Nidge

4 Likes

Now on main stream news

2 Likes

Taken from the BBC article above.

ā€˜DJI said it would roll out its Remote ID capabilities once its obligations were more clear. It could apply the changes to drone models dating back ā€œseveral yearsā€, it said.ā€™

Anyone heard when Autel are set to announce a new drone? :wink:

3 Likes

Just donā€™t update firmware. Mine is on 2 year old firmware ā€¦ and ainā€™t gonna be changed!

2 Likes

sounds like a plan

The only craft I have which might be capable of being read by this system is the Spark, though I think it wasnā€™t on the list of tested aircraft.

And if I were honest, other than a couple of members in my model flying club, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anyone flying a drone in my area other than a couple of brushed toys from the local Argos and model car shop.

Nidge.

Iā€™ve just had another thought, and I can only cite my Spark as an example, but my Spark is on CH165, a WiFi channel that isnā€™t available on the majority of Android phones sold in Europe. Itā€™s certainly not viewable on my Samsung S7 and my Sonā€™s S9.

Nidge

2 Likes

looks like it might only work on limited devices then, thatā€™s some good news I suppose
:+1:

Time for my ā€œTin Foil Hatā€ me thinksā€¦

2 Likes

Theyre talking about a software update that makes their drones visible to all.

Thats nice of them!

1 Like

Broadcast channel for ID probably wouldnt be the same as downlink channel.

Look at the Mavic which uses occusync, itā€™s not standard wifi but DJI obviously have a way to broadcast on a certain wifi channel which can be picked up on wifi devices.

1 Like

It talks about the phone connecting directly to the drone to receive ID data.

Surely the range would be shit.

Reason we get decent range is the antenna on the TX. Phones have tiny wifi antenna and the drone would need to be right on top of you. Also the reason Aeroscope has massive antenna and amplifiers.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from DJI launching what?:

Itā€™s a little bit like the car that keeps going past my house everyday . Same time and i want to know where itā€™s going and who the driver is . It could be a very dodgy person . Could be a child molester driving past the local school to see the kids . Can i just get an app to look up the reg plate and tell me all about the car and owner ā€¦ Thought not ā€¦

1 Like

I had the exact same thoughtā€¦ I want the app that tells me what the hell all my neighbours are upto when theyā€™re out and about. Just for the friggin hell of it so I can go and join them and bug the crap out of them.

Yeah, thought not.

This SHOULD not be allowed. Surely human rights / Privacy dictates that DJI cannot be allowed to do this with OUR personal data. Christ, these big companies have become loose with our data. #sods

1 Like

The issue I have here is when Iā€™m out flying which isnā€™t anywhere near as much as I would like to, I like to be left in peace, I fly by the code and dont go snooping, but people with this app, can see where I am and come and chat / complain / rob. Itā€™s not on

But, on the other hand, there is a drone which keeps checking out ours and other gardens, sometimes no higher than 25 / 30 foot up, just above the roof line. Now this is where this feature would be useful, to find out where this drone is coming from

Guess we are all going to be caught in the same net

2 Likes

DJI built it in to their firmware two years ago :confused:

It didnā€™t take long before people were able to read the data you are unknowingly already broadcasting using just a laptop and a WiFi card with a specific chipset.

It then took even less time to start spoofing drone id data.

Iā€™ll upload some bedtime reading in to a new thread for the curiousā€¦

6 Likes

Definitely agree.

Its for the plebs this not for us. :-1:

1 Like