Dji Rc RM330 Antennas

This is something I wondered about, I always connect antenna before turning on… Old school model aircraft upbringing! I thought it may be clever enough not to transmit until it recognised the Drone, but had no idea how it achievs it.

According to DJI, it does

ok. that would be nice and also usefull.
i will see if it does next time i fly but in a rural area i would expect it to go to 2.4ghz but it did not

the internals of which antenna?
i would like to know which antenna they came from(eg type of antenna and source)

currently wifi antenna’s look very nice on the outside but when you look at the inside you notice most of the time they are very simple and can not provide more than 2DB

This antenna:

That’s because internally they usually use a sleeved dipole for single band use or circuit board etched dipoles for dual band use. A dipole has a gain of 2.1dBi, the “i” is in reference to a theoretical isotropic radiator that radiates equally in three dimensions. All omni-directional antenna gains should be in reference to an isotropic radiator, and all directional antenna gains should be in reference to a dipole, as a dipole is often the primary radiator in a directional array. However many manufacturers will use artistic license and omit the “d” in dBd and use a figure based on an isotropic radiator because the numbers are larger by 2.1dB.

tested today.
the direction i previously could get 700meters max i can now fly around 2KM
the direction where i could get 2KM i now get 4KM with still 3 bars, i turned around because my battery was at 40%

at this range the controller is sensitive to pointing it straight to the drone but not so much as with the original antenna’s

these HX-link antenna’s are not your ordinary wifi antenna’s but they seem to be directional(good thing)

regarding the auto switching. it does work but it needs time
because of this you first get the range errors

when i got the first notification i checked and it was at 2.4GHz. i switched to 5ghz manually and the signal improved dramatically

after flying in the other direction i got the second warning. this time i switched it back to auto.
i checked and the controller was switched to 2.4Ghz

so maybee it is a good idea when you get the first warning is to stop flying and move around the antenna’s/direction until the signal improves(eg it switches to the other band)

Well that appears a worthwhile gain! Noticed today on Nobbygreens channel discussing Air3 launch… New controller RC2, looks same but external antennas! Occusync 4 rumoured?

We covered that over here last week: DJI Air 3 - Rumours, leaks, gossip and general discussion - #41 by PingSpike

If you want to pick up where we left off :slight_smile:

i bet our external antenna’s are better than the new RC2 antenna’s

They regulate the power in such a way that it matches the antenna’s so the better the external antenna’s the lower the power output before it hits the antenna’s

the nice part is that they can be folded but still you need to adjust your case so it will hold the conltroller + antenna’s

1 Like

You clearly have antenna knowledge way beyond mine… Glad I fitted them despite fears opening the case, anyone else not convinced? Just go for it.

about that.
i just reread my post and see it might get misinterpreted.
what i meant was

with original external antenna’s(like on the RC2) DJI regulate’s power so that the total power output, including the antenna’s amplification, is around 100mw/400mw on 2.4ghz

in our case we removed the standard 2.1db antenna’s and replaced them with 5db antenna’s
that’s an increase of 3db which roughly doubles the output.

indeed this kit is really good.
the only place you can get wrong is if you mount those tiny internal connectors not correctly

Can you clarify that statement please, regarding wrong conection where exactly.

i mean the small u.fl connectors on the cable and the board.

if you mount them not right or you damage them they might come off
with 1.13 coax(black thin) this is hardly possible afterwards but if you use the thicker RG178 coax they might come loose if you reassemble everything

in your situation you are good to go

I’ve recently fitted a pair of external antenna to my DJI RC. Wow, what a difference. Much better range, all for £12 !

1 Like

Just filmed this morning. I should have taken a fully charged battery though. Anyhow it got to 4300 feet without loss of signal. Probably could have gone a lot further but I didn’t have charge.

You need to add the FCC hack! That distance is nothing in rural setting… Think 2 miles(one way) or not enough battery.

Nice flight and video Mick shamed you ruined it by the ugly shots at the end :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You were in a perfect spot to have clear signal so tbh a real test for me taking off at ground level up and over trees with obstuctiond in the way and see how signal be then.

The days of my Mavic pro out the box no hacks no firmware updates could have flown for miles in rural just battery was I think about 20 mins actual flight 23 mins pushing it, I actually miss that bird.

1 Like

Cheers
Yes next time I will take a full battery. I only really thought about taking the drone at the last minute while getting ready to go out on the bike.

Take 2

Any links to the Antennas you purchased?