DJI Smart Controller - Early Pre-Flight Thoughts

No flying today (lots of snow :frowning_face:) so playing with the controller. One problem I’ve had is that I can only access the internal stoarge when connected by USB to my PC and not the SD card.

Thats interesting.

When you inserted the SD Card, did the controller ask you something like 'Is this for Internal Storage or Portable Media ?

I got these two options.

Yes, I think I selected internal storage, the other was greyed out on mine.

Anyway, I managed to transfer files via Bluetooth

I’m afraid it gave me the waypoints but didn’t stop the previous update showing on the screen.It still wants me to update to the earlier version. Looks like it’s quite common a lot of people have the same problem :roll_eyes:

I do like the look of this new controller and have one on reserve, just waiting for pay day. What I did consider though is I have a Crystal Sky Ultra 7.85" and I wondered about getting the connector for the current controller, but I read a lot of people say that the connector doesn’t tighten enough and the screen can flop about. So, I considered getting the smaller Crystal Sky with the connector, anyone done this? My concern here was that its position would block the screen on the standard controller and there is a lot of info on that screen you can’t seem to get anywhere else. Anyone got any experience of doing this?

1 Like

I have one of the lifthor maybe ideal for your CS
Link here to my photo and a bit cheaper than a whole new controller

Arrived today, yet to use, any tips or suggestions guys?

1 Like

Moved your post over to this pre-existing one on the topic. Probably some interesting thoughts above.

2 Likes

Morning @lee

First tip, get it updated!. Use the latest version DJI Assistant 2 as the most recent update will only work with Assistant 2.

Link

With the new update, the dual controller operation is interesting as is the ability to manage multiple drones without the need to link them each time.

In terms of tips for use. Using the built in lightning web browser goto your fav Apk download site, something like Apkpure.com and download the installer for Amazon app store. Once installed you will be able to download various android apps including some drone based apps too for your smart controller.

Not sure if you’re a Litchi user, well we’re all waiting on thee update from Litchi for this. Although the smart controller runs on Android it’s a bespoke android platform and bares only a passing resemblance to current Android phones. There are no Google play services available so any apps you may use currently on your Android phone will need getting from the Amazon app store .

It may also mean having to re-purchase Litchi from Amazon app store when the time comes too although we’re holding out for the solution to this one.

Will get back to with more once the wife stops badgering me for a cuppa! :wink:

1 Like

Ahh. That’s good news! :+1:

Does the current Litchi version on the Amazon store not run on the SC @sunstone ?

I think the existing Litchi is looking for the USB port between the RC and Device … which doesn’t exist in an all-in-one.

2 Likes

Make sure you position the antenna correctly. For most applications, not as shown on the box.

2 Likes

No not yet, Apparently the people behind LItchi are awaiting the SDK from DJI…or so the story goes.

Although not ideal in the slightest, the new dual controller feature allows the pilot to have both the SC and standard remote connected at the same time so in theory you could just fire up Litchi on the standard controller and carryout your missions that way. For the time being anyway…of course assuming you have the standard controller as well.

Again, not great but its definitely better than having relink each controller as we had to do before the more recent update.

Im beginning to wonder though whether Litchi will make it at all onto the SC. Somebody is certainly dragging their feet on this.

BTW you can pay for Litchi through Amazon Store and open LItchi on the SC but it simply wont connect to the drone.:-1:

2 Likes

Surely they will otherwise it will become obsolete, either that or another format will come to the market.

1 Like

It’s compatible with anything using Ocusync 2.0 …. so it won’t become obsolete if they produce more drones using that.

They’re not likely to make more with Ocusync 1.0 - so no reason for them to make it compatible with older ones.

1 Like

Theres hope yet for Litchi as DJI have (finally)released the SDK for Smart controller

3 Likes

Excellent news!

DJI were really late in releasing the SDK for the Mavic Air, but as soon as they did the guys at Litchi had a beta out within two weeks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had wondered if such a great app was gonna make it onto the SC.

Good to hear theres certain progress :+1:

2 Likes

Thats it !! if litchi comes out for S.C, I will be buying! :rofl::rofl::+1: Also i have decided to buy a mavic 2 zoom or enterprise in November,to compliment the mp2 pro,and the S.C should be ideal for both,as a plus i will also have 2 spare standard controllers…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like