DJI Smart Controller. Paired with Air 2 and Mini 2

I collected my new Smart Controller today since Jessops were promoting it with a price reduction and 0% finance. The software was updated to include the Mini 2.

I had no problems pairing it to both my Air 2 and Mini 2, although it is necessary to activate the link every time either model is used. It will be time for DJI to rethink the linking process as it’s not quite seamless at the moment.

Got to say though, it felt weird that the controller cost more than the drone itself.

1 Like

@JoeC reported this issue earlier in the week too.

Details In this thread:

Have you updated the Fly app on the SC to v1.4.4 too? As the most recent firmware ships with the older v1.4.2 (details also in that same thread).

I think people should report this drone swapping / linking issue to DJI directly, it’s the only way they’ll take notice of it :confused:

2 Likes

Does the Mini2/SC firmware allow for ActiveTrack?

The DJI Mini 2 does not support ActiveTrack.

The internal processor on the Mini 1 was not powerful enough to cope with Active Track, the Mini 2 probably has the same issue.

Wait for the Mini 3 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, here’s my experience.

I already had a SmartController- with my Mavic 2 Enterprise (obtained a year ago- I bought the drone with the SmartController in a package rather than using the conventional controller).

I’ve been trying to justify to myself for ages getting a Mini 2 and in the end the idea I could use the SmartController with the Mini 2 just tipped it for me.

So, yesterday I took delivery of a Mini 2 Fly More kit.

I went through the usual routine- connected the Mini 2 via the supplied controller, activated it, did all the firmware updates. Similarly, I updated my SmartController firmware. I tested the Mini 2 on the supplied controller- took off fine (indoors) so all working.

I then tried to link the SmartController with the Mini 2 but it’s just not having it. Both where definitely in “pair” mode, just won’t link.

My SmartController does a few other odd things. Being supplied with the M2E package, it has the “pilot” app as the native app for flying. The “Fly” app can be downloaded from the DJI website and installed and works… (and indeed need to install that to start linking process with Mini 2) but as soon as you switch off the SmartController and switch on again it “loses” the Fly app. Even checking the lists of all installed apps (including system apps) and it isn’t there. Weird. Maybe the version of the SmartController sold with the M2E package is somehow locked to drones which use Pilot app???

Ironically, it turns out that I am not actually that bothered as I rather like the Mini 2 controller. It’s much easier to set up than the Mini 1 controller. If the SmartController had worked with Mini 2 I would have considered getting a second one, but they are currently (a) out of stock everywhere and (b) costly so I am tinking DJI have done me a favour :wink:.

Soooo… I will probably look instead at getting a cheap phone (SIMless) or maybe even a CrystalSky for Mini 2 as it works fine and getting the whole shebang a small bag is a big plus for me.

I’d be interested in hearing if anyone else has had issues with the older SmartControllers not playing nicely with Mini 2 (even with all the firmware updates done). Or if anyone can recommend a cheapo Android handset that has a very bright screen and works with Mini 2.

GC

FYI @GreyCat the Mini 2 won’t work with the CrystalSky as you can’t run the DJI Fly app on the CS.

Cheers @pingspike, that saves me considering an option!

From what I have seen of others’ SmartControllers, it does look a bit like the versions of the controller shipped with the Enterprise drones are different, no worries I will save myself a few pennies and get a bright-screen phone handset instead.

GC

Side loading the Fly app on to the SC won’t work either, as you’ve seen, it gets hidden.

If your SC is rooted you can unhide it using:

su -c "pm enable dji.pilot.pad"

(replace pilot.pad with the Fly package name)

But even then, I’m still not sure the “regular” Fly app would work that way as the version shipped in the SC firmware update could be different.

Just checking, after installing the latest SC firmware you did then update Fly to v1.4.4 too? As the SC firmware still currently ships with the older v1.4.2

Yeah, I did the update of the app to v1.4.4 after the firmware update. I suspect it’s somehow a limitation of the SC as it uses the Pilot app as the native app (an Enterprise configuration?? and it was supplied with (and already linked to) the M2E drone.

My little Honor 9 phone works fine with the Mini 2 controller, just I use it as a phone too and the screen is quite small, I am thinking that somewhere I have an older Android tablet which I will dig out and see if I can get that to work with it as that would give me a bigger screen at no cost.

(I haven’t rooted my SC as not had the need to as yet :grimacing:)

GC

1 Like

Bit of an update. I obtained a Xiaomi Redme Note 10 phone off Amazon for a good price. Has a decent bright display. Removed the unnecessary apps, no SIM in it to get in the way, installed DJI Fly, and it’s away we go.

It’s bright enough to see and has the advantage I can also use it in my Mini 1. So I’m a few hundred quid better off as if the Smart Controller would defo work with Mini I’d been going to get another one, but now I’m not!

GC