DJI Spark set up and connecting

I think it was WiFi connection Problems. Just turned everything off and back on and just worked. And has been since, been flying for ages, got 3 batts on charge and just constantly swapping. :grin:

1 Like

you will have to upload it to Youtube, will not open on here.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: One of my first flights

Posted in this old thread as relevant to it.
Setup Spark combo for friend 18 months back with many of the issues of setup related here experienced also. Eventually OK but a real pain. Bad news he pranged it the other day and bought a second hand one and again couldn’t set it up so passed on to me. Bit of a saga!
Charged everything and actually remembered the 3 buttons method of connecting drone and controller. Some difference between combo version and this which isn’t. Password label not on controller and original box not available and scan didn’t work so assumed 12341234 which fortunately was correct. He gave me spare phone to setup but I did on mine first. Put Go4 on and then was asked to activate and not allowed to side step. He had of course forgotten his account password which I had set up for his old Spark. So put his email in and opted for forgotten password. Selected phone (mine) for retrieval and it firmly rejected my number as not a valid number so went for the email option and used my address. Not good! It sent it to my email and I stuck a password in. Stupidly of course that changed my password not his even though the change was for his account and email. Anyway this allowed me to get it all sorted eventually… Was asked to do compass calibration and technically OK to fly. I live within 500m of an airport and previously with my DJI drones there was a complete lock on flying. On this occasion all I got was a warning and on your own head be it advisory so could have flown. Unexpected. Since the airport at Blackpool is no longer used for commercial flights maybe its status has been downgraded by DJI.I was also told that DJI thought 12341234 was not secure so changed it for the controller so I thought. Anyway digression.
Delivered drone back to friend at social distance of course masked etc. He then calls half hour later - can’t connect drone and controller and phone he gave me doesn’t like the password in the battery compartment I had written down for him. Square one. After multiple attempts with 3 fingers and a lot of switching on and off and swearing he eventually gets a connection. Still no joy with the phone connection to drone. So asked him to try the password I had changed to for the controller and it worked. So since I don’t have a Spark and all this was completely blind I’m assuming it is the controller password needed to connect via phone. Anyway solved … well …sort of.
10 minutes later another call! Put GO4 on his best phone and being forced to essentially activate again or at least connect with an account. So he was being asked what I had already done the previous day just because he was using a different phone. Anyway left him with instructions for password retrieval for DJI account and hopefully that will end this saga - for the time being.

I have been involved with computing forever and consequently am well used to all this nonsense but I fully understand how novice users find such ridiculous contortions impossible.

I have read that a DJI account is not really needed other than for initial activation which was never my understanding as surely needed quite often. Puzzled how I could just take someone else’s drone stick in my email get a password retrieval and activate it. Presumably it has to be activated per phone/device as the previous owner would have activated it and now we have had to do it two more times. My head hurts.
Not a question as such. More of a lengthy whinge. Apologies to all!

2 Likes