DLOG-M and Codec dependance - is there one?

I’ve fired a question back to Stewart Carroll about this… there’s no mention of H.265 support on Filmora’s own product specs.

Ned

1 Like

@Ned

I struggled for months trying to work with the 10bit H.265.

Windows media player might play the file using software decoding.

The editing software your using might need hardware acceleration through a supported CPU or GPU.

Intel only started supporting HEVC hardware decoding on 7th gen chips.

Resolve can use software acceleration only but my computer struggled.

I could never get a smooth export and had flashing white frames. That or just erroring on export.

I eventually gave up. i7 6280hk, 32GB ram, gtx 980 8GB.

2 Likes

Jeez, I wouldn’t have thought a spec like that would struggle with H.265.

Is it all just bollocks then… 10 bit colour?

Ned

2 Likes

It’s just a generation too old.

If the CPU was a 7th gen it would have been fine.

I did manage to export a few clips using Vegas Pro and to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference.

2 Likes

@callum Fair enough…

Is anyone actually using DLOG-M in anger? It doesn’t seem like anyone is.

Ned

1 Like

Ned,
I have just opened Filmora 9 and added an H265 clip in to it and it works with no problem.

All of my videos are H.265 DLOG-M and I then add a LUT, before finishing colour grading. IMHO (and officially, I believe), it is a flat profile and it gives you more latitude to work with, a little like RAW photos do.

Regards

Steve

2 Likes

I couldn’t get @McSteamy2010 file to load. Did you download and try that? This would help me a lot if you did…

Ned

2 Likes

Just tried it Ned, and it loaded and played in Win10 on my laptop and then I took it in to Filmora 9 (I usually use DaVinci Resolve) and it played smoothly.

When I bought my M2P that was not the only expense. I then had to go and spend the same on a laptop to use the footage properly. It was worth it for me though.

Steve

3 Likes

That’s Steve,

That’s good to know. Sounds like there are some specific hardware requirements too!

Ned

2 Likes

From Wondershare.com

2 Likes

It’s all I use. It gives me far more scope in the grade. I export in 265 also

1 Like

What do you use to edit @leeheyes ?

Resolve Studio.

1 Like

Ah okay, I’m using resolve beta and I’ve not seen an option for exporting in 65 just curious that all :+1:

Yeah, the 265 export is a studio only thing. Before I had studio I still filmed in 265 it was just a massive pain to do the barrel correction. Now it’s a piece of cake

2 Likes

IMHO, if you have a M2P investing in studio is money well spent. Being able to export using your GPU plus the barrel correction is worth its weight in gold

2 Likes

Thank you all for your input; very useful indeed.

Ned

2 Likes