DLOG-M and Codec dependance - is there one?

Hi,

I’ve had a nosey through previous posts but could find anything that answered my question. If I’ve overlooked something, please point me in the right direction.

Question… Does the use of DLOG-M require the H.265 codec?

(I’ll be honest now and say that I’ve not switched my M2P on since Lockdown V2 or 3 or whatever it is now, otherwise I guess I could figure this out myself. I’ve been scouring the internet this afternoon, but have not stumbled upon an answer.).

Sorry, for being lazy…

Ned

2 Likes

Yes mate H.264 does not support DLogM only 265 :+1:

3 Likes

Dude,

Can you send me a really short DLOG-M HEVC H.265 video clip?

I googled for a sample DLOG-M file, downloaded it, but I can’t see anything in the file properties to suggest that that the file is genuine.

If I look at file properties on the stuff I’ve filmed with my M2P, non DLOG - the ‘Encoded by’ data is blank.

screenshot.225

I’m asking as I use Filmora 9. According to Stewarts factsheet in his recent video…

…Filmora X supports H.265. My downloaded H.265 sample refuses to load in Filmora X. Video editor feature comparison here…

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbkwxbThyTmRYbUxXRmxBdmRYTEZISTJwWmh0UXxBQ3Jtc0tsZWh5X2YxMzJnQ040VnI0N2ZJN0NvcDNLUzZZLVFxcktyWmVyaWdEeENDV0pDQ180WDcteDBSVHZrMUo3a0E1OTk1UjlpVklXbHR6SDE0ZHF0TVJYUzNlVlNxSERqOHRDRF9UMm1XeC1MSDE5S2NwUQ&q=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2Fediting-guide-yt

I’ve downloaded Filmora X, and just need a ‘pucka’ DLOG-M file to test. I asked Stewart, and he said it works fine.

Ned

2 Likes

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5ec85dd4dd23f7f77a926a60e377cc0c20210205175825/7780cbd7501f2d91781b70045d7dbc9a20210205175842/7a5155

This is a genuine H.265 clip. it doesn’t say it in my Details page but i know as my PC wont play 265 because I’m missing the codec.

1 Like

Bugger!

I can open that file in Windows Media Player - it’s jerky, but it plays, suggesting that I have the H.265 codec (I do, I installed it).

No dice with Filmora X.

Cheers for that Steve, very useful!

Ned

1 Like

No problemo chief, happy to help :+1:

1 Like

There’s a codec you can install for Windows Media Player that makes H.265 run like a dream … in that player only.

I’ll rummage.

1 Like

I just got this one from the Microsoft store 66p lol

Why waste money when it’s free …

2 Likes

Dude,

Don’t go to any trouble on that front. My biggest issue is not being able to get that file into Filmora X.

Is there a utility that will reveal meta data re. video file encoding?

Ned

I’ve had £1.06 sat in my store account for about 2 years finally got to use it :rofl:

I’m on windows 7 (I know - my bad).

Ned

Davinci Resolve accepts them … but my old laptop struggles with DR using them, like most old laptops/PCs do with H.265.

Ned it might worth Google before all the trouble… is it worth using 265 over 264, its a very mixed community.

I’ve personally not noticed any difference.

1 Like

I know mate… sorry, It’s more a question about why Filmora X won’y load H.265 - and wanting to test it with a proper H.265 file.

I don’t mind my laptop struggling. I’m quite fond of Filmora, and I’m getting conflicting information about what it can handle… grrrrr :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ned

1 Like

I’m 100% sure that you are right… I’d still like to play with it though.

Ned

1 Like

I get that, I was the same. Its one of those it can do it so I’ll use it :+1::rofl:

I sure back when I used filmora 9 I played with 265’s :thinking: can’t be 100% sure though.

Either that or that’s the reason I switched to davinci :rofl:

Neither Filmora 9 or 10 will play nicely with H.265. I’m making a massive assumption that Filmora 9/X is reliant on installed codecs. The fact that I can play your H.265 file with Windows Media Player suggests that…

1. I’ve got a codec, a bit clunky mind, that can play it and
  2. Filmora 9/X is just not interested.

Ned

1 Like

Mine was clunky … until I installed that codec.

It still is clunky in VLC. (Or was when last I tried.)

2 Likes