Does anyone clean their drone camera sensor / lens & filter?

I was wondering if anyone ever cleans the sensor on their drone, I’ve cleaned the lens a few times or as & when which even using a brand new lens cloth sometimes still leaves slight smudges or smears, I try not to touch the lens but sometimes it may have dust particles on it so I’ll give it a clean after I’ve blown the debri off with a little pump blower, but can be a bit of a faff as the same with cleaning your ND filters, always seems to be smudges around the edges which are hard to get perfect,
Although the sensor is protected by the lens I thought maybe as the change in temperatures going from cold to hot & hot to cold & pretty much being open to the elements, maybe over time even the sensor behind the lens would accumulate some sort of dirt / film or weathering & should be cleaned every so often, does anyone ever clean there’s ? I did google to see if people do this & did find a few but the majority was for your DSLR more than drone, I try to keep everything clean using electrical wipes but not wanted to use them on the sensor or filters as apparently they have special coatings, they also say you should only clean every so often, so after research I ordered a lens pen off amazon which is for cleaning lenses / filters & sensors only cost £6 but a top leading brand for photographer’s, anyone do this or recommend or maybe I’m being a bit to anal :grin: thoughts anyone, I guess it’s a bit like cleaning glass maybe you don’t or didn’t realise it was dirty until you started cleaning it, just trying to keep everything in tip top condition as you would your expensive camera, after all it is a camera just a flying one !

I clean all my sensors, lenses, and filters. I use LENSPEN
I have one for lenses and one for filters but they’re pretty interchangeable. Give the brush a good shoogle on something to build up some static, this then helps attract any dust particles before using the other end for smear removal. The only sensors I don’t clean are the ones on the drone camera, purely because you can’t really get into them. For cleaning my DSLR sensors I use Rangers I sometimes use a little of the solution on my filters and lenses as it’s great for removing smudges and smears. And I DO NOT put a blower anywhere near anything, EVER. I used to, until I realised I was blowing dust straight onto my Nikon’s sensor!!!
It will be much much harder for dust to get onto a drones camera sensor, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much, I would guess it’s too well sealed. I am also in the habbit of putting a clear ND filter on all of my lenses, cheap £50 filters protect the much more expensive glass.
To be fair, a couple specks of dust on a lense? I doubt you will notice them on any pictures because of the focusing distances, same as smears round the edges.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, maybe I’ve got a little confused with the sensor as I’ve often heard the word sensor when we’re talking about the gimbal lens, so if I post this video although it’s quite old this explains what I meant & this guys steps in cleaning, do you think they are right or wrong,
Also as I believe the sensor is the bit you actually can’t get to as you said ( on a drone ), so just to reiterate I did mean the fisheye glass I’m going to call it sat behind the detachable glass / filter, should that be ever cleaned, thank you.

1 Like

Bloody hell, Dylan Baldwin :scream:

There’s a blast from the past :smiley:

3 Likes

Can’t say I’ve came across him rich only until I searched to see if this was a method anyone does or should do :grin:

The geezer was a legend back in the day :blush:

4 Likes

Was very watchable, moved onto bigger and better things, last seen on a telly box near you

2 Likes

That’s mad, I recognise his face now.

His YT was pretty good, like @ianinlondon before @ianinlondon

https://greyarro.ws/search?q=ikopta%20order%3Alatest

1 Like

I’ll take a look at some of those posts, did not know he was kicking around or mentioned a bit on here rather, so I’m guessing like Ian he knows his onions.

Just wear the kit whilst flying and handling ya drone and you’re sorted :joy:

2 Likes

:rofl: funny as f***

1 Like

You will find it almost impossible to access the actual sensor, I know of no drone manufacturer making these accessible to anyone other than certified service personnel. Regrettably, the issues of camera sensors clouds the subject somewhat, as these are almost always based on the interchangeable lens DSLR’s which - by the very nature of changeable lenses - allows air, and therefore dust, to enter the camera body. Not a problem with any commercially available drone.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation
Yes as said above I think I got a bit confused with the sensor / lens on a drone, only because I’ve always heard the word used sensor on here when say for instance it has become a problem or faulty so I really knew no different meaning the lens you see in the gimbal ( outside / accessible ) so I’m guessing that is ok to make sure it is clean as & when, sorry for the confusion I thought it was called a sensor on the basis as said above & the sensor is obviously inside which is not accessible which I understand.

There are quite a few drones / cameras where you can swap the lenses and access the sensor.

1 Like

He’s in one of the safestyle adverts with David Seaman

2 Likes

He was the first I followed and saved all his videos until this day as I just went to my save later his is the first with Ed Rickers and spoilt boy Billy Kyle :rofl: btw he’s a shit actor. :rofl:

Back on subject

I try not to touch the gimble if possible as changing ND filters I feel the shots going to set the horizon slightly off and we have some here not mention who :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: that’s quick to jump on it. :rofl:

I would try not touch lens very little and only use Zeiss glasses wipes. I never knew about the lenspen but definitely order one now.

1 Like

@mynameisjoe

Thanks mine arrived today, it’s perfect and safe. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Given the size of the sensor in most camera drones, I’d have thought it would be very difficult to even access the sensor. My dslr camera (Canon) is fairly easy to access. Just take the lens off and there’s a setting on it to keep the shutter open for cleaning ( I’ve never actually done this though) :wink:

I think there was some confusion in terminology…. I think the OP was asking if anyone cleans the camera lens (it was clarified here I think - Does anyone clean their drone camera sensor / lens & filter? - #15 by Navigator54)