Doncaster - Sheffield Airport closure?

They are just ticking a box trying to show they are doing the right thing by being open to negotiations.
They may agree to the talks… but i dont think anything will come of them.
i cant see peel changing their minds unfortunately.
Unless its made clear to them by dmbc that they will never approve to any future planning applications that they submit

1 Like

Back in the Cold War RAF Finningley used to be one of the fast response RAF bases for the mighty Vulcan bomber. I know, from family members and close fiends who were stationed there as ground crew. The Vulcan bombers were laden with live nuclear bombs.

Wouldn’t it be a shame if the MOD designated the whole area of the runway and the surrounding grass land as a nuclear protected zone and planning permission could never be granted.

Just a thought. :wink:

1 Like

This is a very sad result it’s a shame that big business thinks only of their profits. Is there no chance of turning the site into an RC airport imaging how many RC planes and drones could be flown around the area :wink: just a thought :laughing:

2 Likes

Local news reports a last minute offer that’s over the market value from a party from the UAE.

Still hope of retaining the airport :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Well it looks like the action to remove the responsibility for the frz from dsa is now underway

Not sure how long this will take but it’s another nail in the coffin for the airport

1 Like

Flew today in the former FRZ at the former Doncaster Sheffield Airport

I have a job up there in April - inside the FRZ. Are the telephone numbers still live to request permission to fly there?

The whole airport is now declassified airspace and as such needs no permission to fly.

Thanks. The CAA website seems to imply that the removal is ‘in progress’ but I assumed in practice it’s gone.

There is a NOTAM in place at present(C0180/24) stating that Airspace is class G Between 15:16 Hours GMT on 9th January 2024 and at 00:00 hours GMT on 8th February 2024 when that NOTAM Expires.
Do not assume that it is OK to Fly after 8th February 2024 until another NOTAM has been created stating this.
I get NOTAM Information from this website.
Local NOTAM Map | NOTAM Info

Set up new free account and area where you are interested in to receive emails of NOTAMs relevant to that area.

Where did you get the dates from?

that is from the current notam that is in place

Cheers @Howard78 its going to renew, it has done for the last 14 months or so

Thanks all. I’ll double check nearer the time, but assume for now that it will be OK.

I’d imagine it would be at least 12 months to get back in to any sort of operational condition.

They’ve been securing funding for the last 18 months and nothings happened

I’m very local, 5 mins walk from the base.

Drop me a pm if you do visit and I can direct you to the best TOAL spots.
Probably will fly too if times work out

1 Like

Thanks. It’s a commercial job, so TOAL should be fine, but depending on the timing I may get to do some fun stuff, too!

No NOTAM in place following Notam C0180/24 expiring on 8th February so I would assume ATZ/FRZ now apply again.

Thanks for Information, wonder how long it will take to have DSA removed off Drone Assist etc .