Donnington Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Was interested to know it was standing in amongst several golf courses in Newbury.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 26/04/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

I’ve flown here too @Crevitz :grin:

1 Like

This is an English Heritage site, and there’s a note about drones on their page for Donnington Castle: Donnington Castle | English Heritage

In short, to fly any EH site, you need their permission and the appropriate certifications and Insurance (they are probably referring to commercial operators with GVC, etc.).

If you wish to take off from their land, they can set their own rules.

But those rules won’t apply when you take off from elsewhere and fly over.

1 Like

Is that right? Can you point to any particular regulations? (I don’t doubt your explanation, just interested)

Their site states “…English Heritage does not permit drone flying from or over sites in our care…”

So it sounds like their rules don’t allow fly-over at all. I’m curious to know what the legal/regulation view on this is.

There isn’t one, they don’t own the airspace.

Try a few searches, this has been covered so many times over the last six years here.

3 Likes

Ian In London (YouTube) just covered this kind of topic, following his recent flight over Stone Henge. Can You Fly Your Drone? How to Check & How to Handle Confrontation - YouTube

This is good news to me, because I would love to fly over the edges of some EH or NT sites in the future. If I do, I’ll likely do it out of visiting hours and certainly only take off from public land…and all within CAA regs and NOTAMs of course.

Thanks for the replies!

I’ve just added a new Parking marker to this location @Crevitz :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @Crevitz :slightly_smiling_face: