Dorset and Hampshire Fly Zones

Can you please elaborate,you talking about Poole Quay and its environs?

Great stuff , much appreciated !!

Thank you.

Probbly easier to tell you where you can’t fly!

Go on google maps and look around: Purbecks/Wareham/Poole/Bournemouth/Wimborne/Christchurch/Mudeford/Hurst Castle/New Forest… Follow code as above.

Are you looking to “do” anything in particular? Just fly/photo/video/landscapes/water/sports?

So to be precise , is the grass area adjacent to the car park considered to be part of the Head and therefore a No Fly Zone and is the Beach in front of the Head a No Fly Zone . Interesting that you say you can fly from the Spit and Beach Huts though .

1 Like

I just want to learn how to fly.Pics and video come as standard.

I’m fine exploring opportunities and hopefully,eventually hope to fly ‘commercially’ abroad doing land surveys,etc.

Regards

WY

Hi, I started off with the same apprehension, there are two ways to tackle this where to fly, one is fly basically within the drone code and if you are confronted by anyone official and that really needs to be the police who now have the powers to ask you to stop if it is clear you are doing something wrong, the chances of them actually knowing that are slim, they get a 30min video tutorial and a fact sheet… you are the licenced pilot, talk them down but the chances of anyone turning up even if the person moaning was the chief park keeper of the crown estates is slim… take my word… the worst that could happen, assuming you weren’t dropping illicit packets into a prison is they ask you to pack up and move on. This of course does EXCLUDES airports and other such NFZ, where you may get shot… !

Or, 2nd option, which I have done, approach the person or authority in person, email or phone, email I found best as you can attach your licence, insurance, etc. Don’t just say “can I fly my Drone in your field, forest, beach” whatever but offer a service, footage from above, aerial photography of the site free, video of the site free, even if they don’t want it it gives a good impression. For me this has worked well with many authorities you would never believe, once you get one to say yes, then when you mention this to the next it gets easier and easier. I have several now, RSPB, local harbour masters, local Wildlife trusts and more, write up a plan of when, where, safety, most might ask for a written risk review or safety pre-check, once done (there are templates on several sites) you will have a portfolio to use next time.
Mind I still go where I want as well… ha-ha… but have a lot of ammunition under my belt to get out of a situation, sticking to the code you should be fine, I’ve never heard of a hobbyist being fined or anything for making a mistake, (someone on here will probably correct that, they always do…) a warning perhaps but that is what the CAA want, awareness not fines and they said that when they handed the policing of drones over to the police…

Good luck, fly safe.

1 Like

Hi. Still hoping someone might be able to answer my specific queries:
I am looking at the drone assist app. Can I infer it is OK to fly at portland bill as long as one does not fly directly overhead the military base marked in yellow?
Is it OK to fly over durdle door if not taking off or landing from the Lulworth estate. Or is that not in the spirit of things, and unnecessarily causing irritation and a bad perception of drone users.

1 Like

There are a lots of places where we cannot legally fly from in Dorset and Hampshire .

What would be useful is a list of places where it is completely legal to fly from or without having to get the landowners permission from .

2 Likes

Excellent and well volunteered.

Makes sure to add them all to Drone Scene when you’ve done ;o)

2 Likes

There should be a badge for that! :wink:

3 Likes

Definitely… everyone I know are always looking for places… especially completely legal and without any permission, if only it were so easy… ha-ha, if you do a list please stick it on here…

Cheers

3 Likes

and that’s the truth ! One place keeps coming up is the old aero drome Beaulieu & areas around Poole are also supposed to be user friendly.
Haven’t actually had time to go out and try them out .
Happy hunting & happy flying :grin:

1 Like

You can fly at the club on the old airfield at Hatchet Pond but you need to be a member

I,ll be in Weymouth on Saturday till Tuesday and I’m hoping to get over to Portland for some early morning shots. All I will do is email the lighthouse and just make sure its ok for me to fly.

Be very careful at Portland. There is a QinetiQ site there which can create extremely strong magnetic fields. It is just adjacent to the lighthouse. You should phone 01305 862000 to check if they will be emitting strong signals when you want to fly. You can see it on the Dronescene map it is marked as a Royal Navy Research Station where flying is likely to be prohibited.

Ok thanks for the heads up and the contact number

Couple that spring to mind down that way would be Bowleaze Cove and Nothe Fort- and the cruise ships moored up if you’re brave enough to fly over water!

We have our Holiday Home in Waterside in Bowleaze Cove and yes my thoughts too as the Queen Mary 2 is still out there.

1 Like

https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/Parks/ThingstoDo/flyingmodelaircraft-and-drones.aspx