Dorset and Hampshire Fly Zones

Hi all !
Newbie in Lymington trying to find out where I can take my drone to the skies with out facing wrath of the authorities.

Any one in here from this neck of the woods?

4 Likes

With obvious notions of, I don’t live around your area, but…

This shows that as long as you keep out of the Bournemouth and Southampton airport zones, and follow the drone code, you should be fine…

So, of the coast at Keyhaven? Up at Beaulieu Heath? Hurst Castle…

The Southampton and Bournemouth zones you are showing on that map are not restrictions for drone flying. They are Class D Airspace, and only advisory for our purposes.

1 Like

Yes, of course.
But they’re high risk areas, which aren’t great for new drone pilots.

Posting that map with …

… you are basically saying that one has to keep out of them.

This is inaccurate/incomplete information - and can only lead to confusion for other pilots.

This is my point.

1 Like

I have flown my Mavic Mini a few times On the grass between the car park and beach at Hengisbury Head when its quiet without too many problems especially in the winter .

I live near Hengistbury and the Head is an NFZ as it’s a nature reserve, the Mudeford SPit part with the beach huts is OK.

Sadly the whole of the New Forest is NFZ too…

Are you confusing your terminology?

It’s largely clear of NFZs:

I am slightly confused.So no restrictions in New Forrest ? I can fly “anywhere” in New Forrest?? Read somewhere about the animals there and peoples privacy in the Forrest?

Unfortunately the New Forest is out of bounds. I’ve already enquired

3 Likes

@PingSpike Probably, apologies for lack of clarity.

The restrictions I mentioned were due to local regulations or bylaws.

What would be the best description of an area where drone flying is disallowed by a local council or landowning body?

Locally, Poole (now BCP) council does not allow drone flying in any of its parks, I don’t think that’s well know or noted.

I’ll have to find sources of these restrictions and see how they are applied on Drone Scene.

2 Likes

I was wondering where to fly also as live in Dorset. It seems to me that there are not many places to fly without some restriction or another. I’m wondering why I bothered to get a licence. New Forest is what they call “Crown land” and is a NFZ. Without seeking permission from a land owner it’s difficult.

Don’t forget that 99% of restrictions by by-laws and ownership can only restrict take-off and landing (although, in an emergency, and aircraft pilot is allowed to land anywhere he considers the safest and there’s nothing they can do about that).
They cannot restrict the overflying of their property in accordance with the Drone Code.

What happens once a drone (or any aircraft) it’s in the air is covered by Aviation laws and ANOs.

LOADS of places to fly locally, legally n all !

How far are you willing to travel? I live in Poole so within an hours drive, you’re spoilt easily.

Just be sensible and follow the code :wink:

2 Likes

"Don’t forget that 99% of restrictions by by-laws and ownership can only restrict take-off and landing (although, in an emergency, and aircraft pilot is allowed to land anywhere he considers the safest and there’s nothing they can do about that).
They cannot restrict the overflying of their property in accordance with the Drone Code.

What happens once a drone (or any aircraft) it’s in the air is covered by Aviation laws and ANOs."

Thanks for that clarification.

I had assumed that the restrictions in Bournemouth on Hengistbury Head and Stour Valley Nature Reserve were to stop overflying of animals / wildlife that would be disturbed by the noise and also nesting birds that would also suffer from disturbance.

I don’t want to be the person that spoils things or rocks the boat, it’s just ironic that Hengistbury is the nearest open space to me that isn’t the beach!

1 Like

These areas need to be considered in two ways.

a) if you are flying “legally”, and unnecessarily disturb the wildlife, then you stand the chance of creating a furore of anti drone publicity from bodies with a serious amount of influence.
This obviously should be avoided from a common sense viewpoint, whilst also recognising that some wildlife won’t give a damn as to what’s happening 50ft above them, where as others see us at 200ft and think “Incoming hawk/kestrel/peregrine!” … and have different reactions that vary between “keeping very still”, “I’ll do my damndest to protect my chicks and counter attack”, and “let’s get the eff out of here and abandon the chicks”. And, breeding time is the time when both the wildlife and their protective humans are at their most sensitive.

b) there is national legislation regarding the disturbance of protected species … wherever they may be, in a reserve or in your back garden. Try to even replace the roof on a house that has just one bat in it, and all hell breaks loose if someone has seen them flying in and out.

Laws / bye-laws only go so far. Outside those areas (legal or geographical), common sense can be far more restricting.

1 Like

Now I have “Bat out of Hell” in my head. :laughing:

Hi Wamju

Download yourself the free apps:

1. Drone Assist
  2. UAV Forecast

and also check out the website https://www.dronesafetymap.com

These will help you to find safe airspace (type G) and whats going on near you to take into account when you are planning your flight. There are plenty of other considerations such as landowner permission when appropriate but the above will set you up with a better idea of safe to fly or not.

Also regarding safe separation distances, download and check out the drone safety code at Drone code - Dronesafe

UAV Forecast is brilliant for a quick view safe to fly from a weather point of view, just plug in your drone limits in the settings.

1 Like

Please could I continue this discussion about where is OK to fly on Dorset. I am looking at the drone assist app. Can I infer it is OK to fly at portland bill as long as one does not fly directly overhead the military base marked in yellow?

Another question : is it OK to fly over durdle door if not taking off or landing from the Lulworth estate. Or is that not in the spirit of things, and unnecessarily causing irritation and a bad perception of drone users. I do find this topic of where to fly important and worthy of discussion