Drone disturbs resting St Mary's birds

That’s awful. Very bad press for the drones community as a whole.

Most people on this forum seem to be ultra-concerned about sticking to rules and regulations.

But what can be done about people who don’t?

The article seems to suggest that the harassment was witnessed, we all have excellent cameras on our phones which we carry around, why isn’t there a film of the incident ?

1 Like

The same as can be done for the middle lane 80mph drivers

1 Like

I agree. Where’s the evidence to back it up. Just shows a bit of stock media. Probably needed a filler piece and drones always attract attention. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

We have a new saying in our household nowadays when things are fishy…

“it’s a Gatwick”

1 Like

Birders all have high zoom, high resolution cameras so yes - where’s the evidence?

1 Like

Unfortunately a bird died. The article blames the drone even though the same article said the bird had avian flu. So instead of giving drones a bad name how about warning the public that the birds have flu and be cautious about picking any birds up in the hope of taking to a vet to save. Wrong priorities here.

2 Likes

It’s an open secret that a lot of “Conservation societies” frequently fail in their objectives and quickly scramble to find an excuse or scapegoat for what happened. That’s almost definitely what happened here.

Also, zoology graduate here so let me explain what most likely happened given the information we know. After a migration like this the sick birds will be weak and unable to move again. When the flock identifies an illness like influenza moving through the population they will move on again shortly after, intentionally leaving behind the ill members, to contain its spread. This had nothing to do with a drone and was a natural behaviour of flocking birds in response to a disease outbreak.

3 Likes

I live in this area and I have just been down to have a look. There are many notices for all kinds of things, mostly about car parking charges. I took photos of most of them, looking for something about drones. It was only when I got home and looked at the photos did I see something on one notice, and it was nothing to do with the birds.

1 Like

Good to know where the nearest toilet is, though. :+1:

:rofl:

2 Likes

Well if you checked out the facebook page linked at the bottom of the BBC news item, you would have seem lot of photos of the plovers and sick terns, plus one photo of a DJI Mini 3, that seems to be hovering directly overhead, that it is totally out of context. There is no proof it was flying over the reserve, there is no image or video showing it disturbing birds and if they didn’t get the flyer ID from the drone or pilot, what’s the point in reporting it to the police… Have already commented on the facebook article, but just wanted to let you know, that, so far, the only proof of a drone in flight, is a single photo of a DJI Mini 3 against the blue sky… All very suspicious

So does that mean people use the island as a toilet when it is open.

1 Like

I’m sure the seals and birds do, so … :crazy_face:

1 Like

So their “proof” is a photo of a mini 3 in the air directly overhead which they’re claiming was among the birds at the time…

I think the birds were more likely disturbed by the muppet taking the photo of the drone being there in that case. :rofl:

1 Like

“what a Gatwick”!!! same plane different drone, it’s how to fatten the goose…

0_Drones-close-Gatwick-airport

drone-threat-planes-terror-629957

Need to know the reg of that plane … it’s obviously running out of lives and I don’t want to be on it.

1 Like

Believing the BBC is the same as believing the govt. NOT recommended.

1 Like

BarryH wrote:

" … zoology graduate here so let me explain what most likely happened given the information we know. After a migration like this the sick birds will be weak and unable to move again. When the flock identifies an illness like influenza moving through the population they will move on again shortly after, intentionally leaving behind the ill members, to contain its spread. This had nothing to do with a drone and was a natural behaviour of flocking birds in response to a disease outbreak."

Thanks, BarryH. It’s a shame the birds were sick: but at least it seems unlikely they were disturbed by drones.

There is only one person I believe in and can totaly trust…and that’s me