Drone Flight Map - Restrictions

Hi Folks,
I’ve just downloaded the NATS Drone Assist App and when I view the map of the area I want to fly, there’s lots of red!!!
I get the circles/corridors near airports, but what about the rectangular red areas you see on the pic here??? Are they no fly zones too??? :unamused:
TIA

1 Like

Isn’t that the Category D airspace. I get affected by that working in Knutsford (though the airport comes over too). I asked similar a week or so ago, click on it, find out what area is, and if Cat D you OK. I have flown (and I believe legally) in some of that area around Northwich. Where is it you’re based?

1 Like

Theres your first mistake, use our very own DroneScene

All the layers are properly explained on there

7 Likes

Hi, It doesn’t give a Category, just lots of red notices ie “maybe regulated/hazardous and vertical limit up to 2500ft”!!!
You’d never fly if you went on this App!!! :angry:

Thanks for that - wish I’d picked up on it sooner - The NATS App is getting binned, besides all that I have to log in and use authenticator everytime I open it!!!

2 Likes

As long as your logged in here, you have full access to DS, its very clever ;o)

2 Likes

Just been playing with it, It’s fantastic and more realistic!! Thanks :grinning:

2 Likes

NATS:

DroneScene:

Both screenshots of same area. I prefer Drone Scene with the multiple layers and ease of use.

3 Likes

They are CTR zones - Controlled Traffic Zone … you can fly your drone there just be careful … I would suggest you make yourself aware of the nearest ATC number in case you get a flyaway AND you log your flight on the app - you will then start to get detais of nearby flights coming into your area so you know what action you should take …

4 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: The development of Drone Scene continues!

Probably worth raising on the DS development thread. On my phone it shows the full CTR description at every zoom level.

If course, there’s no good reason to have that layer switched on anyway :wink:

I had a pleasant chat with Liverpool CTR several years ago and confirmed I was allowed to fly Category D.