Drone Scene Updates - April 2023

As I said above, Steve:

The Club’s recommendation has now been removed from https://dronescene.co.uk/about#SSSI

GADC doesn’t make recommendations for any other map layers, so we’ve now removed the Club’s recommendation for this one too.

Sadly it’s not available in the source dataset we use I’m afraid, otherwise we would have made it visible (like we do with the ATC contacts) :blush:

2 Likes
Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)

Flying may be restricted at some Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) where that flight may disturb animals or wildlife. Check on the web for byelaws or look out for local signs and then follow any restrictions that apply.

The following national authorities provide information on SSSIs:

Animals and wildlife

Do not fly where you’ll disturb or endanger animals and wildlife.

The above taken from

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

@PingSpike would it be possible to get those links and wording to that effect added to all the SSSI sites?

It’s a bit of a faff still as you have to correctly enter the site name and county and then still click more links but you can at least get to the information needed then.

No worse than a troop of ramblers/herd of kids on a school trip tramping over the grass/fern/sedge etc.

Was going to say the same thing, do other groups check if it’s a SSSI site

Do any other aviation users worry about it

I think I will be using my common sense

2 Likes

You’d need to ask Natural England, Ade.

I meant in dronescene. Apologies for poor wording.

The SSSI data we display, much like the airspace layers, is pulled in live and in real-time, Ade.

We don’t store the data, and it’s not ours to modify. Which is why you’d need any changes to the data made at its source :blush:

2 Likes

Gotcha.

2 Likes

Hey all, just for context, I’ve been working extensively with Natural England and Forestry England and the National Trust doing drone work over a good many SSSIs recently.

Personally, I think the key is to recognise there IS a SSSI in your flight plan, then determine yourself the risk to wildlife etc. It’s very much on you. If the SSSI is for a weird rare moss or an odd bug you’re probably ok to fly that mavic at 120m! If it’s nesting eagles…… less so!

I’d suggest know it’s there……. Then make an informed decision you are happy to defend if needed.

I recently flew an M30T over a Bat SAC (Special Area of Conservation) with full consent of relevant bodies etc and it was fine. I did Google current research into impacts of drones on bats before hand to inform myself.

More interesting to me was how many low flying military air craft there are using the nighttime airspace! I’ve ended up calling the NAT “low flying team” regularly before night flights!

1 Like

Bravo!