Drone Scene Updates - April 2023

A new version of Drone Scene has been released :tada:

(Missed the November update? Take a look here!)

What’s new in the April update? :thinking:

Read on!

New Features :partying_face:

A Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) is the land notified as an SSSI under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981).

As SSSI are the finest sites for wildlife and natural features, supporting many characteristic, rare and endangered species, habitats and natural features.

Drone operators should contact Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, Nature Scot before flying over a SSSI.

This map data layer can be quite large in size. If your internet connection is slow it may take some time before this layer displays on the map - Suggest zooming in closer to reduce the amount of data your browser needs to download.

More information: https://dronescene.co.uk/about#SSSI

Drone Scene is the only drone safety app in the world to offer SSSI layers

More New Features :partying_face:

• Create a light / dark / system-mode theme option
    – Requested by @PingSpike
    – Drone Scene has always set either Light or Dark colour themes based on your device settings
    – You can now override this by editing your Drone Scene Profile settings
    – Choose between Light, Dark or System
    — The System setting will check if your device is in Dark mode and if so, Drone Scene will automatically follow suit
    – Your preference is saved to your profile so will use this theme on any device you log in with

UI / UX Changes :desktop_computer:

• Changed National Trust layer colours
    – Requested by @DeanoG60
    – Make open access green
    – Make limited access red

• Changed the display order of attached (multiple) media
    – If you add a video and an image and a Kuula to a location we always prioritised the video
    – This isn’t great for older locations as the author has sometimes removed the video from their YouTube or Vimeo
    – If you attach multiple media(s) to a location we will now use the photograph for the location thumbnail instead of the video

Bug Fixes :beetle:

• Adding a location with an emoji caused a fatal error
    – Reported by @D0c.Col

Other Random Stuff :palm_tree:

• Added international support for people based overseas to become Members

We hope you find this level of update / detail / release notes useful.

As ever, please continue to enjoy Drone Scene and please keep those feature requests coming!

14 Likes

Loving the NT changes!

No shit! I can’t believe that there are so many, Wow

1 Like

Superb update. Thank you.

1 Like

Could I respectfully ask why? Is this just to be on the safe side? The reason I ask is that not all SSSIs are there for wildlife and the CAA seem to imply that’s the main reason why some SSSIs shouldn’t be flown over.

We have one near us, which has a road through it and encourages walking (it’s even open access, I believe).

I guess the main thing is to make sure first, rather than assuming it’s okay to fly.

2 Likes

Largely, yes :slight_smile:

Potentially disturbing wildlife is a risk we’d rather people didn’t take.

Agreed :slight_smile:

Yes please :blush:

We hope you find the new map layer of use :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Only one? You’re doing well!

1 Like

@AdrianR Can you give me an example please?

Thanks for the swift reply @PingSpike and for clarifying :slightly_smiling_face:

The one near us, for example, is mainly because of geological interest and also the diverse woodland flora in one part.

1 Like

Thanks for this @PingSpike, the SSSI layer is a great addition!

1 Like

Thanks for the update on the update.

Cheers,

Tony

1 Like

Another great update.

Can we have an option to open the map zoomed in around our current location? It opens with a view of the country and as stated, a lot of data to download. Better to open with a small amount of data needed than everything?

2 Likes

Nice idea, will pull this in to a separate thread.

This is a SSSI,
Views please on us holding a ‘camera drone’ MEET there :thinking:
@DeanoG60

What is? :thinking: did you forget to add the link?

YES :man_facepalming:

As stated above we could always contact Natural England and ask the question.

contact details here for ease of access:

Not sure where we stand with this I guess no harm in asking :man_shrugging:t2:

@PingSpike

Nothing to do with me, Steve mate - I’m only displaying the data for you all to use :blush:

1 Like

Hi Rich,
I asked you to hopefully get some insight into why this broad was comment was made :thinking:
I fully understand that any SSSI associated with animal/bird/wildlife breeding grounds etc. need to be protected, however this sites interest must be the old quarry buildings and I’m hoping they won’t get too upset if we fly over them.

I’m looking for advice here as we thought it might be a good spot for a ‘camera drone’ meet instead of a FPV bando type of meet.

Cheers, Steve, :smile:

1 Like

I think rich is erring on the side of caution. It’s obvious rich is in contact with natural England so there’s going to be a bit of politics involved in order to keep a good relationship.

Probably impossible but it would be good to add info to the layer like with FRZs where ATCs contact number is listed it could actually state what the SSI actually is. But I doubt this information is easily available?

A lot are wildlife. A lot are also fungi/newts and other things too. Take into consideration it’s not just the ‘flight’ that may be concern but also where you take off and land. Or worst still where it falls out of the sky or what it might hit.

For me this comes down to the one thing I use before I take every flight. Common sense, and I suspect natural England and dare I say it grey arrows (although contrary to what I’m about to say here, I’d say the vast majority of ‘actively posting’ members do have common sense) have gone with the lowest common denominator in that common sense is lacking these days.

As for clee hill. Without knowing what the actual SSSI is. This has been on my places to visit for a long time but never got round it. It’s a common place for people to go and I wouldn’t have had a clue it was an SSSI unless I’d seen a sign somewhere.

I’d still be up for a meet if one gets planned and apologies if arrangements are already underway in a new thread I haven’t got round too yet (I always start with unread posts in topics I’ve already contributed too when I visit GADC)