Early Morning on Loch Ness

Another ‘Oldie’ today, from April last year, an early morning spring flight over Loch Ness…

We were on our way to Speyside for a day of whisky tours, but the amazing light and hypnotic water bade us stop and take a short flight, which yielded this one shot relaxing video…

I know that there is a school of thought that you should have slips no longer than 6 seconds, as it allegedly keeps the viewer interested, but for me, the serene scene, the longer smooth epic flight works better…

What do you think, should drone footage video be edited at a fast pace to keep the viewer engaged, or should it be more dependant on what the creator is seeking to make?

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne,
IMHO It depends entirely on the mood the photographer wants to convey, short sharp snappy clips for excitement, longer smooth gentle movements for relaxation.
The human brain has space for both at different times
:smile:

I’m a fan of slow clips, particularly for landscape films, but I don’t like long clips, my limit tends to be about 4/5 secs. I agree with Steve though, it depends on the mood you are trying to convey. For me, it also varies with the pace of the music.

Hi Steve,

I would agree, there is room for both styles, and neither is any ‘better’ or more correct than the other, although I have come accross some folks who slavishly apply the 6 second rule, sadly tothe dtetriment of their own footage - although that again is my own opinion…

1 Like

Hi John,

Interesting, as a ‘slow’ clip for me would sugest that it be a little longer than 5 to 6 seconds - not saying that its in any way wrong, just looking at exploring how folks edit their footge and the feelnig they get from their edits…

I do use slow movements and longer clips, and the length of the clip is usually dictated by the music and the focal point of the shot, rather than any other ‘rules’…

Yep, totally agree with this. I sometimes struggle with editing though, when the music is dictating a longer clip, but I want to change the clip length. I then start to think, is this the right piece of music? lol. What’s even harder is wedding film editing when the music choice is often my clients rather than mine.

1 Like

Lol, yup… And then you start to doubt yourself and whether what you are producing is good enough…

Or is that just me :wink:

Nope, not just you :blush:

1 Like