EASA ruling regarding C0 marked, sub-250g drones and the EU 120m height restriction

Here’s the TL;DR response from DJI:

On 5 Nov 2023, at 17:16, Sofia (DJI Support) support@dji.com wrote:

Your request(#XXXXXXX)has been updated, please reply the email below.

Sofia (DJI Support)

Nov 6, 2023, 01:16 GMT+8

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support. I hope you are doing well.

Just to let you know, when the customer returns to the UK or goes to another country, not under the EASA rules, the drone doesn’t have the 120m maximum altitude.

And the full email thread for context:

Grey Arrows Drone Club

Nov 4, 2023, 23:22 GMT+8

Hello DJI,

You recently published this viewpoints article: The DJI Mini Series And The 120m Altitude Limit In The EU

If a Mini 4 Pro owner living in the UK goes on holiday to a EASA-regulated country their drone will be limited to 120m above the take off point.

When they return to the UK, or go to another country which is NOT under the EASA rules, will the drone still be limited to 120m maximum altitude? Or will it be able to fly without the 120m restriction?

And will this still be the case after 1 January 2024?

Sofia (DJI Support)

Nov 5, 2023, 00:42 GMT+8

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support. We hope that everything is going very well with you.

We value your business with us and we thank you so much for showing your interest, support, and continued patronage of our company. We will be delighted to assist you in this matter and help you get to the bottom of the concern as quickly as possible.

We understand that you have the following concerns. Therefore, allow us to confirm it with our respective team first. Rest assured that we will get back to you again once receive any feedback from them. Your patience and understanding on this issue are greatly appreciated.

• If a Mini 4 Pro owner living in the UK goes on holiday to an EASA-regulated country their drone will be limited to 120m above the take-off point.
  • When they return to the UK or go to another country that is NOT under the EASA rules, will the drone still be limited to 120m maximum altitude? Or will it be able to fly without the 120m restriction?
  • And will this still be the case after 1 January 2024?

In the meantime, if assistance is still required before we reach back out, feel free to reply to this email, we’ll be glad to help you out.

Thank you for choosing DJI and have a great day.

Best regards,
Sofia
DJI Technical Support

Grey Arrows Drone Club

Nov 5, 2023, 00:52 GMT+8

We look forward to your response, thank you.

Grey Arrows Drone Club
Unity House, Westwood Park, Wigan, WN3 4HE
https://GreyArro.ws
https://DroneScene.co.uk

Sofia (DJI Support)

Nov 5, 2023, 19:57 GMT+8

Dear Customer,

Greetings from DJI Technical Support. I hope you are doing great so far!

Thank you for patiently waiting. We received feedback from our respective team today. Please find below.

• If a Mini 4 Pro owner living in the UK goes on holiday to an EASA-regulated country their drone will be limited to 120m above the take-off point. Yes

• When they return to the UK or go to another country that is NOT under the EASA rules, will the drone still be limited to 120m maximum altitude? Unfortunately, no.

• Or will it be able to fly without the 120m restriction? No cannot.

• And will this still be the case after 1 January 2024? Yes. For more information, you may refer to this article The DJI Mini Series And The 120m Altitude Limit In The EU

We look forward to situating closure to every inquiry you have, as our goal is to contribute to help in every doable way we can. We thank you for your time and support and if there is anything else we can do for you, feel free to let us know. We will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,
Sofia
DJI Technical Support

Grey Arrows Drone Club

Nov 5, 2023, 20:26 GMT+8

Hello,

Answer 2 and 3 conflict with each other.

Could you seek full clarification please?

Sofia (DJI Support)

Nov 6, 2023, 01:16 GMT+8

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support. I hope you are doing well.

Just to let you know, when the customer returns to the UK or goes to another country, not under the EASA rules, the drone doesn’t have the 120m maximum altitude.

I hope I could shed some light on this for you. Of course, if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out and I’ll be happy to answer them for you. I want to make sure you’re fully taken care of and I’m only an email away.

Please know that the system will automatically send out a notification if no reply is received within 2 days. But you can just simply ignore it if you don’t have any other inquiries. You can continue replying when you get time and if you have further questions, then the ticket will appear back in our view. Please don’t worry as it won’t affect the progress of your inquiry.

Best regards,
Sofia
DJI Technical Support

7 Likes