Edinburgh Prision

Hi this might be the wrong forum for this topic, if so sorry in advance.

I am wondering if anyone knows how close to Saughton Prison i can fly my drone, I would like to film lothian buses at longstone, i do know there maybe permit issues flying from city edinburgh council managed land, but just wondering anyone has any thoughts, also does anyone know of any land near the bus depo i could take off and land with out going through the council? just want to stay very legal due to prision near by, dont want to be in there!!!

I think your bigger issue will be the FRZ… the little red blob top right is the prison but it’s in the FRZ for RAF Kirknewton - if you co-ordinate with them you may be good to go.

Then if you’ve a DJI drone you’ll have to step through the unlocking process.

1 Like

You can fly directly over the top of the prison, provided you’re over 164ft high.

2 Likes

BTW - all can be found here: Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Drone Scene

1 Like

It’s well outside of the FRZ Stuart mate :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Ahh - confused by the big yellow bits. That’s the height thing isn’t it?

For DJI drones only, yes :slight_smile:

Or the grey bits, I forget where DJI limit your height now.

1 Like

Hi I have a dji mini 2, It looks as though i can fly there avoiding the prision, in the replies, but i will double check, just have to figure out where to take off and land, might approach the bus company but i dont think they will say yes, the problem with permits is you cannot tell what the weather is going to be like, it makes sense for a sunday morning when all the buses are still in depo, dont want drone footage of an empty bus depo. Want to thank everyone who has replied, thanks

1 Like

@jaybee is out resident Edinburgh dude, he might be able to suggest a spot

Best advice is stay away from the prison.but anyone the local parks are fine.even the golf course keep the drone high enough no one can hear it

1 Like

Dont know why RAF kirknewton has a FRZ around it as its a disused runway in poor condition, it does however have an air cadets gliding school based there with three gliders

As it can always be used as an emergency runway is why

Not that I have ever thought about flying near bases but have people asked and been given permission to fly near places like that. Just curious.

I have done just that for RAF St Athan and/or Cardiff Airport (their FRZ’s intersect) and for flying over Kidwelly Castle as their is an airport nearby.

Got permission all times.

I think you’ll find that if you phone and ask they’re generally quite accommodating. At least that’s the general feeling I get when seeing these posts in here. Just the fact you’re phoning and asking lets them know you’re not an arsehole. I’ve not been near any bases but my house is right beside Scotlands busiest commercial airport at Perth. I never have a problem flying locally as long as I ask first and give them the details. I’ve only been refused once, and that was when they were moving Her Majesty back down south and the procession was only a couple miles away. Fair doos, I went for a walk in the woods instead.

That is good of them, I guessed it would be ok as long as they know what you are doing then that is good. When I fly in a location and I see any people in the area, I like to approch them and let them know that I will not come anywhere near them. People are so thankful as sometimes the news can attack drones when there is no reason. Normally after telling people they come over and enjoy seeing it fly and some have even wanted to buy one. Although I had to say sorry to the parents of a young girl who after seeing the drone flying told her dad “we need to get one dad” who went from saying, we do not need one to (after seeing it himself) he then said… lets see if one christmas you have been good. lol

Hi When i posted the question i got in touch with the Scottish Prison Service, on the 17 April, Anyway i got a reply today and it said “Good morning, I have received the below from the establishment in regards to your enquiry; “In terms of them flying a drone, as long as they have the correct licence and permissions there is not much we can do or object to. Although, if they do fly it near the or over the prison, we will report it to the Police.”Apologies for the delay in response”

I may be wrong but i still think there is a no fly zone above HMP Edinburgh, also some prisons are now using devices to block drone signals, not sure if HMP Edinburgh does, but due to the proximity of the Bus Depot and the prison, it may not be worth it until further investigation. Also if i do decide to go ahead i will have to find somewhere near the depot which is not edinburgh city council managed land to take off and land, other wise i need permit etc, going by the rule book. It is easier to not go by the rule book but how ever since dealing with the prison and the possability of the police, need to be 100% legal, not that i would ever advise breaking laws.

Thanks and hope everyone has a good bank holiday weekend.

Hope it all works out well with you. Tricky one. Depends what the police would say or do about it. It is just because of a security issue and they are bound to notifty the police. I have no idea about this at all.

I thought you could fly over prisons at height? Sure its states in dronescene? I have flown over HMP Perth on several occasions, a high security prison :flushed:. Never been approached yet. Fly over at height, dont hover over the grounds. And is it a NFZ or FRZ?

1 Like

The made up DJI bollocks or a proper FRZ ?