Elvaston Castle Country Park, Derbyshire

Elvaston Castle Country Park is a council owned Park riddled with public paths and bridleways. I visited the park on a pretty quiet day to take this video but be aware there are some pathways that have signs stating no drones but as far as I can ascertain there are no bylaws or FRZ. I will enter a pin in DS but be aware of the latter!

Located in Derbyshire, near to Derby and Nottingham, Elvaston Castle Country Park encompasses approximately 321 acres of open parkland, woodland.

At the heart of the estate lies Elvaston Castle, a gothic revival masterpiece (not open to the public) designed by James Wyatt in the early 1800s based on the original house dating back to 1633. Today both the buildings and gardens are registered (Grade 2 and Grade 2*) as being of special architectural and historical interest.

The gardens are locally renowned for their rockwork structures and fine examples of topiary, originally introduced and designed by William Barron in the 19th century.

Whatever the season there’s always lots to see and do in and around the park - walking, cycling, horse riding, bird watching, picnicking, kite flying, photography, exploring the park and nature reserve… but they don’t like drones! :scream:

Yep, owned by Derbyshire County Council. I think it’s in one of their bye laws that you can’t operate radio controlled aircraft, model cars and boats in any of their parks ( not that I’d want to sail a model boat on Elvaston Lake )
At least no one caught you flying the mini3P there . I know if I did, there would be some sort of park ranger there within seconds of lift off :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Couldn’t find a bylaw when I looked (they gave a nil response to FOI see below) but happy to be proved wrong :wink:. I know they have some policies but not really that bothered about them TBH. :+1:

There were two park guys who came out the bushes but didn’t give me a second look and I was standing next to the park picnic table right in front of the house. The only 2 that said owt were a lad and his mum. “Cool” was what the lad came out with! :rofl:

Ahh, you’ve picked up the request to South Derbyshire Council. Elvaston Estate is owned by Derbyshire County Council ( the one with its HQ in Matlock :wink::wink:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/720326/response/1725286/attach/html/3/Countryside%20Sites%20Bylaws.pdf.html

Interesting when the park sits in South Derbyshire. Guess the other YTers who were there before me made the same mistake. Still I can take off at my friends house whose gate backs onto the park :grin::grin:

Yep, where I live, about 500-600 yds along the road, the houses come under South Derbyshire Council, for council tax and waste collection, whereas I come under Derby City Council. However for gritting in winter, I think the respective councils have some sort of reciprocal agreement in place, as sometimes the roads are gritted by both councils at various times.

1 Like

Yup it’s the same situation as chasewater and Kingsbury water park. It’s always worth googling who actually runs a park. Just because it’s in a certain councils area doesn’t mean they actually run it. If it’s a big one usually the actual county council and not district will run it.

I actually spent some time looking on their wensite and give up trying to find the full bylaw thst the extract came from. All I managed to find was a 1965 document that includes Elvaston Lane but not the park. Makes sense as they didn’t own it until 1969. The real crime is despite the Trust forming in 2017 to invest in its future they’ve let the manor house fall into ruin and sold off all the art and furniture (according to a staff member I spoke with) and allegedly have no plans to renervate it! Seems like they’ve done far more irreversible damage to the place than a million little sub 250g drones could ever do! :cry:

I"d print the extract off and use it, but prefer soft tissue for a number 2. :grin:

1 Like

Yep a real shame that DCC have allowed this building to fall into the state of disrepair it now is. Refurbished, it could become a prime attraction on the local area.

1 Like