Emax complete kit or my mix?

Hi Mark

The QX7 was a nice radio but FrSky are starting to screw things up and make things difficult, especially for the first time buyer. I would have suggested something like a Radiomaster TX16S but that might over complicate things for a first time user. I have a few members in my RC club whom are migrating from Spektrum and Futaba radios to the TX16S and I’ve found myself acting as Tech Support.

Very recently Jumper have released a new budget, but feature rich, controller for under £50.

I must admit I’m not 100% sure of the spec as Joshua Bardwell has just reviewed this and says it can only handle Futaba and FrSky (LBT and Non-LBT), but Hobbyrc above are advertising it as having the full 4in1 multi-protocol system (over 50 different radio types).

I think this would make an ideal inexpensive first radio, and I believe it connects to a simulator via USB. With it being less cluttered than the bigger radios I think it will also be a good introduction to the OpenTX universe. If you find that FPV is for you you’ll be able to progress to the bigger radios with your newfound OpenTX knowledge, and the Jumper will serve as a great backup. If you find it’s not for you the Jumper will sell easily and you’ll not have spent more than you may do on a night out.

The choice of quad, the Tinyhawk Freestyle, I think is a good one. You can start by flying on just 1S (single battery) to find your feet and acquaint yourself with the experience. As you gain confidence you can then add the second battery and fly like you stole it. On 2S, and behind the goggles, the THFS feels like a much bigger precise 5inch quad, so moving up to something like this at a later date will be easy as falling off a bike.

And lastly, keep asking questions. The FPV gang in this forum are a very experienced and enthusiastic crowd whom are only too happy to help.

4 Likes