Encounter with a red kite

Hesitant to post this as it’s nothing too special but I had a curious red kite come check me out when I was flying FPV. I’m afraid my piloting is pretty awful as I was nervous about hitting him and I’m still getting used to flying with a higher camera tilt for FPV.

He first appears at 47s so I’ve tried to start this video at that point.

Cheers :slight_smile:

14 Likes

just excellent !!! Well done for not backing off the Kite, he finally twigged your drone wasn’t scared or trying evasive manoeuvres. I think he quite enjoyed the interaction. Once he backed off and you were just enjoying FPV flying I reckon the Kite watched lol

1 Like

I am familiar with a NT site in Shropshire where guys fly radio gliders (drones n/a) - and local kites seem very inquisitive with them. Getting close but not too close. You might well have been better just hovering higher for the interaction, but with exposed props you were probably right to be wary. I might find myself in the same position when we can get out again.

1 Like

Nice. It’s tricky keeping something in shot with an fpv’er

2 Likes

What a brilliant video!! It makes me WANTING to fly FPV. The kite footage is excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed that!!!

1 Like

Excellent flying. It’s exciting to see wildlife from your drone camera. We have a few buzzards living around us. I have often seen them ‘checking out’ the drone but never been able to catch them on camera (I have tried) except once, which was purely by accident. It flew across me harrassed by a couple of crows.

1 Like

Edit from previous post
Just watched the whole video on youtube (it only showed me about 10 seconds originally) and I think your flying is superb. To keep the bird in view for so long was great - I have trouble even finding it on with the drone when I can clearly see it by eye, so hats off yo you.

1 Like

You can give me some lessons, brilliant