Feature request - Open the map, zoomed in to my current location

Feature request from @Crackerjack

2 Likes

Nice idea @Crackerjack - thanks.

Would you have this zoom in to the postcode on your Drone Scene account?

Or to your current GPS location?

The latter may cause problems if it prompts for access to your devices location every time you open Drone Scene, we’d probably need to test this as I can’t remember if Apple or Android ask you each time, or only once.

We could even zoom in to a region (to match one of the regions in the drop down list on the home page).

Quite a few ways to do it, what does everyone think?

And what level of zoom would you have it default to around said location?

2 Likes

On iPhone it asks everytime

GPS location down to the level where all icons are visible

2 Likes

Android, just the first time … unless you clear cache.

2 Likes

@PingSpike have you changed something as it’s not asking everytime now :thinking:

But after force closing it’s still asking for motion and orientation

1 Like

On mobile it’s a single tap on the location icon - which is really quite easy!

1 Like

Not changed any of the geo-location code for +6 months now mate.

1 Like

Which is what I do each time I’m out and about. I guess the point of the request is not to have to do that and save on loading the whole map.

1 Like

Not changed any of the geo-location code for +6 months now mate

Weird… as it always asked and it did about 10 minutes ago but now its not and its the same on my Ipad :astonished:

Have Apple changed something in the last six months? :thinking: :person_shrugging:t2:

Might perhaps need another thread for this line of enquiry :blush:

I would think your account postcode wouldn’t be beneficial as the chances are you know your own area.
Where as your current GPS location would be useful if you are quite a way from home.

I personally don’t see the need for change.
As i use it for ideas of where to fly if im off out and about, so if the page opens on full map i can straight away start zooming in to the relevant area without having to zoom out from my home/current position first.

So maybe the requested feature could be optional.

This, improve loading time because it’s not gathering data for the UK.

Account postcode would be fine.

Android has different levels of location permission from don’t allow to never ask again, prompted for on first use and can be set within the app properties.

Don’t the stats say most people access dronescene from a desktop?

Desktop browsers can be pretty climbersome in how they ask for permission (just this site, the whole day for everything, everything everywhere) I’m usually pretty reluctant to let any browser/site know my location with a global setting.

I’d go with the postcode option if it’s set in an account. You cal always click the GPS button if you want your exact location still.

If no postcode is set just have a default global location. Perhaps the most central location based on every available member postcode or just dump everyone at a random dronescene location as a ‘location of the day’ feature that rotates all DS entries.

I’d hope the feature is optional so if you don’t want to change your location settings, don’t.

I use it nearly all the time on Android mobile. At home, don’t care how much data it downloads. Even when I plan in advance, I always check during TOAL in case a Notam’s been published in the meantime.

Mobile signals aren’t perfect and it’s slow to load on a crap signal. I do zoom in while it’s loading in the background which appears to improve the loading speed but it’d be great to have it zoomed in by default.

Maybe a 3-way toggle. UK, (as now), account postcode location & GPS location. Satisfies everyone.

1 Like