Feature Request - Suggested places to fly on a particularly route

As I drive a lot for my Job I sometimes have to travel long distance and today I got sent to leeds and once I’d finished my Job I looked at drone scene for places to grab a quick flight on my way home. As it transpired as soon as I opened drone scene it started to rain :man_facepalming:t2:

But on my drive back I thought it would be pretty damn cool if you could say put in 2 post codes and based on the locations already added on the map it could suggest places not to far off the route between the two points.

Or give you a list of places between point A and point B.

Sort of like a drone route planner.

Not sure how difficult this would be, but would be a fantastic addition to the site.

2 Likes

As the crow flies?

Or as you’d drive by car?

How many miles apart would these postcodes be?

How many different route options would there be? :thinking:

Would you also filter it by type? (Eg. Castles) or just show everything that’s along the route?

I probably have more questions :blush:

1 Like

How do we know which route you’re taking? :thinking:

Yeah. I definitely have more questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So using my trip to leeds today for an example,

I finish up in Leeds and plan to drive home before setting off I open up drone scene to check for places to fly.

I could use my current location as my A point and then use my home address as my B point. And drone scene would then suggest places to fly along my route home as potential stop off locations. So I guess that would be as the car drives not as the crow flies.

Being able to filter by location type as well would be a cool option.

Yeah not sure it would be possible without drone scene being able to be used like a satnav. :thinking:

Unless you could maybe draw like a tunnel from point A to point B on the map and any locations captured in the drawn line the locations coordinates are exported to google maps and you can arange them into a route maybe :thinking:

I think it’s nice idea, and I for one would benefit from such a feature. But equally appreciate the effort to implement something like this. As far as I can tell, Drone Scene uses Reverse Geocoding, taking a place or address inputted by the user, which is turned into coordinates and located on the map.

What you are suggesting is adding Routing, which is a whole different ball game. At basic level, this allows software to understand “what is a road”, whether it single or multi-lane, one or two way, roundabouts, exits, private or public, free or toll, speed limits, hazards, road closures, etc, etc, etc. Without Routing, the road is just a polyline on a map - and the app would have no context or understanding of navigating from A to B.

I have written multiple In Car navigation apps over the years (Java and also C#). Reversing Geocoding is relatively simple in comparison to Routing. Mind you, Drone Scene does use mapbox. And I have been using their Routing api for many years (recently updated to Navigation 2.0). That said, I can already see Rich face-palming over the work involved in implementing such a request :wink:

1 Like

Never said it was going to be an easy request lol

1 Like

Is that a volunteer I see? :laughing:

If it were as the crow flies, with a search area of say 10 miles off that straight line, it would probably cater for most journeys? That is of course unless you have a habit of taking the scenic route over the direct route :rofl:

When I read that I thought about my drive from Morecambe to Anglesey in a few weeks and the 10 deep wet miles either side of that direct line. How about extending the ruler functionality of DS to draw a series of lines with DS listing places 10 (or a selectable number of) miles either side of the lines.

In the Anglesey example, that’d roughly be Morecambe to Lymm, Lymm to Chester, Chester to Anglesey.